Sunday, June 4, 2017

Staying Strong

I think there might be some people who will be surprised at how strong I have become. Truth be told, I always was but now it is showing. Time for me to step up and do what needs to be done. I finished the word Strong yesterday. So far each of these words that I have worked on this past week has been so appropriate for what Denny and I are experiencing. When I came home last night the air conditioner still would not kick in...103 out and 91 inside will not do. I made a few calls and "no emergency service" was a response. Glenda and Don, neighbors but more importantly good caring friends, gave me the number of someone to call. I explained to the gal who answered at almost 8 PM the situation and she said she could have someone out in the morning (Sunday) and they would call me before coming. Well not 10 minutes and Brent calls to say he will be here between 7 and 7:30 ...perfect. I let Don know and thanked him for the contact and asked him what to ask. Dennis and I are not used to asking for help....never really had to. I just did not want this company to take advantage (some do) of a woman in this situation. One problem hopefully solved. Let me back up....when I acme home around 7 PM I decided to get out and check the plants and the pond. That fountain was squirting crazy again and knocked over. The broom handle once again did not work. A Pond Shower again! I knew what had to be done and as soon as my stomach settled,  into the pond I reached and I took the slimy pump and fountain out to clean. I know it is not as clean as Denny would make it, but it is clean and back in the pond and working ...at least it was when I left it. I will check at daylight....it is only 3:18 AM right now and I am not going out to check. Mind you, this is the very first time I did this...the pond itself needs cleaning, but it will have to wait. All done and no fish harmed and I did not fall in! Let me tell you about my guy yesterday. It was an uneventful day. Being the weekend, the gang as Denny calls them were few parading in and out. He dozed on/off most of the day. The medication is working to keep him comfortable. He is still having issues with the mouth infection; not eating and did not drink much. He will be home Monday with Hospice and we shall see. There was another platelet transfusion. The goal is to try to stabilize him for a positive return home. I need to say that I am nervous having him home but it will be so good for both of us. In hospital there are nurses to call if needed...now it will be me. He has concerns but I hope it will go smoothly from here. All that is being done at the hospital is just to reassure Denny so he can come home. The Brother Alan will arrive Tuesday around 12:30 PM and we will move on together during the week to solve some things.  the list has grown form a blank piece of paper to several items. I will call on the Angels to watch over us and whatever will be will be....Some cards arrived yesterday and I will take them to show Denny. I read him Facebook messages and emails. You all have been the rock that I know I can rest on. Thank you for all the caring and loving kind words.....thank you so much for the beautiful friendship you offer. I think a large glass of Rain Berry Gatorade will do nicely....maybe I can catch a short nap before starting the day. Never did find my lovely scissors.  I do not feel very lady-like using a pair with Workforce stamped on them.

19 comments:

Vickie said...

Yes, you certainly are strong Gracie. I am so encouraged to hear that Dennis is coming home Monday. And Alan on Tuesday! You have a wonderful brother. So good to know you can depend on him. I continue to pray for you both.

averyclaire.org said...

Oh Grace...you sure ARE strong. I love those needlework words you have been creating! And I can't believe all the pond and air conditioning problems...you have enough to ponder at this time without mechanical problems too! Glad that you will be bringing Dennis home and that Hospice will be there for you. Even more so your wonderful brother, Alan! It is nice to have him close by and this time. Prayers and love flying out there to you each day! Hugs!

Debbie said...

Steady to the course my friend. You are stronger than you believe.

Glad that you will be bringing Mr. H home.

take care

Unknown said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you~
Blessings
Baa (originally a RI girl)

CalamityJr said...

You're doing great, Gracie! You and Mr H will both feel so much better when he comes home. I was thinking about The Brother Allan when you said that he's headed back. I'm so glad he can be with you; you'll be even stronger! You'll all be in my prayers.

Janice said...

It's surprising when you feel drained and can't possibly handle another thing....how God steps in and "carries" you to move on. I know the feeling you described about having nurses readily available but there's nothing like being able to be at home. Hospice is a phone call away and sounds like you already got this!♡

Vicki said...

I'm so glad to hear that your brother is returning to be with you and Denny. I'm praying for you all. Trusting he'll be home with you soon.

cucki said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you
Big hugs x

Shelly said...

Another fish pond shower! As hot as it has gotten, I'm sure it felt kind of nice! From reading your blog for the last 6 years, I can see you are strong, From your wrist problems to now. It is something that us women have naturally. I'm glad Hospice is involved. I know personally that taking care of someone is way too much to do by oneself. They were the best. Stay cool or try to. I'm glad your brother is on his way to help you for a bit. Take care!

Rose Marie Della Ventura said...

You are strong. You come from good genes. It will be easier once you are home. Hospice is wonderful. One day at a time.

Lynda Ruth Bowers said...

glad brother Alan is coming to help. I am praying for you all. Love, hugs blessings

Ann at Beadlework. said...

It's so good that your brother will be there for you both this coming week. I hope the hospital discharge goes to plan, it's always a worry when a loved one comes home and the role of carer falls on you but you're doing a great job Grace.

Simple Pleasure said...

Prayers are continuing for you and Dennis... I am so happy to hear that your brother will be arriving this week...as a 70 year old only child, I still long for a brother...especially one like Alan! I am thrilled that your stitching is bringing comfort...yes, you are STRONG! Envisioning your incident with the pond, I must admit, made me roar...this is definitely something that I would do!!!
Warmest regards,
Patricia

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

This is a drastic way to get the Brother Alan back to see you! I hope the plan goes well and Mr H is back at home soon.
You are doing so well with the household maintenance too.

Kathy H said...

You are very strong, Gracie. So sorry to hear all your troubles. Glad Dennis will be home on Monday and brother Alan will be a big support too. I continue to pray for you all.

Julie said...

Home is where the heart is ... and hopefully some peace and calmness and doing just what you feel the need to in your home surrounded by all you both hold dear.
much love xx

shirley flavell said...

Dear Gracie, I have been away for a while and hadn't caught up with your news 'til now. I am thinking of you both. Hugs from Shirley N.Z.

Leonore Winterer said...

We are so proud of you for managing all this alone, but it's a good thing you have friends and family to count on as well. As always, you are in my thoughts.

Chookyblue...... said...

ther are no words Gracie.......its all shit.......but know I am sending love and just wished i was closer to send you a big hug.......you know I lost my sister recently and my FIL is now with a bad prognosis......I hate it so much.........hope the air con is all fixed/replaced and keeping you cool.......