Sunday, January 23, 2011

Good Day to all......

First I would like to thank all of you who stopped by and left a comment regarding my thimbles. When I hand sew, I do use a thimble...usually just a plain one, but once in  a while I do grab one of the "regular" thimble to stitch.

I must tell you of my wonderful surprise this morning. As I opened the vertical in my kitchen, I was greeted by a sweet hummingbird just outside my window. Now I thought nothing of it as it does hover in front of the window many times. On a closer look, I watched it perch on a branch in the Hibiscus bush about 2 feet in front of me. What...what is this? A nest! Yes! a nest! I am so excited. Now, I tried to take a few pictures from inside through the window...so bear with the poor quality. As I can I will update with better pictures.

If you look closely, you can see him/her ... not sure!...adding to the tiny, and I do mean tiny nest.

I managed to run out as it left to get this shot...do you see the tufts of whatever? See how close to the window this bush is! We have the good fortune of having a few of these darling birds in our yard all the time. They are not very fearful of us and will many times just hover in front of our faces. I keep a feeder in the front and one here in the back yard.
Oh and by the way...I will post an update later on my stitching. Right now I am mesmerized with this activity!

7 comments:

KarenV said...

Oh, how wonderful! We love watching the birds in the tree next to our garden. Hummingbirds are so beautiful!

Sarah said...

Oh how delightful, it will be so lovely to see if you get some young ones. Thank you for stopping by my blog, so pleased you like to come visit.

Robin said...

What an awesome opportuniity you have to watch a hummingbird raise a family close up and in person. Hope you'll show more pictures as things progress.

Blu Stitcher said...

You are truly blessed. I hope you will keep posting pictures for us.

RuthB said...

Oooo, what a wonderful kitchen neighbor! That's a great way to view the day. :)

Southpaw Stitcher said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. You are very lucky to have a hummingbird nest right in front of your window. I had just 2 hummingbird sightings all last summer!

natalyK said...

That is the sweetest thing ever!! Oh and to see green, oh how I miss the leaves. We are in an arctic freeze here in the northeast and I miss the birds and flowers.