Sunday, June 25, 2017

It's the little things

Yesterday while outside dealing tending to the pond, I found myself thinking Denny would tell me that I was feeding them wrong...he often said ....now tell me, how is dropping pellets into the water wrong?  Anyway, I plopped them down and the fish as usual just ignored me.  My thought is if they eat they will survive, if not , oh well.  Just those little things that pop into my head.  As I cooked the ravioli for my dinner I could hear Denny say "save some of the pasta water like Lidia does" (Bastianich).  While watering the few plants in the garden that still are alive he would say be sure to give them enough...those little things he would say.  In the afternoon we would watched a movie and it would always be my choice, well he would offer 2 and then I would pick one.  There have been no movies in the afternoon for awhile now...maybe I should start to choose 2 to find one...those little things.  Whenever I sat to do needlework he would ask "what are you working on" even as he was in the hospital he would ask.  He always took great interest in what I was creating.  He thought there was nothing that I could not do with my needles.  I have not picked up the needlework since that next day.  Today I promise myself to finish those angels...no one is asking.... those little things.  I did finish the last of the Affirmation Words...
This project has been so helpful in this difficult time.  Each word was so appropriate. He approved each word as it was finished at the hospital.  It will be finished in his memory for Denny and me.  I have to believe my Denny is finally at peace.  His last day was not and I could do nothing to help him.  Now I wait for me to find some peace.....

18 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I hope peace comes in time Grace, things are so very raw for you just now. Take care.

peggysue98 said...

I know your heart is just broken. I remenber when my mom passed looking into my dads blue eyes were so lost without her. In time I saw them come back to life even though he missed her so much. I know Denny would want u to live your life to the fullest with love and laughter. If you need anything please let me know. peggysue98@hotmail.com
Love ya. JPEG

Vicki said...

Praying and believing that you will find peace.

Simple Pleasure said...

How can your heart not be broken...yet you have these precious memories to latch onto...praying that these memories will guide you on your journey to find peace...
I am curious to see how you will finish these beautifully stitched sentiments...
Warmest regards,
Patricia

butterfly said...


It is a wonderful word , and I do hope you will find some peace soon gracie .
Thinking of you often.

Vickie said...

Oh my dear Gracie. I sit here with Murphy on my lap and tears running down my cheek. I am so sorry my friend. I am praying for both you and Dennis still. Peace. Yes, peace for you both.
Gracie,what are you working on? ♥

Lynda Ruth Bowers said...

Take care of yourself, I send you big hugs, kisses and lots and lots of love dear friend. Just remember Dennis is at peace and you will be together again.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I have been praying for your peace and for Denny's too during this difficult time during your life. I know Denny has found peace and now I continue my prayers for you. . .

Rose Marie Della Ventura said...

Praying that you find the peace that only time will bring. Keep up the good work with the fish pond!! 💟

shirley flavell said...

Thinking of you Gracie.I too am interested to see how you finish your sentiments stitcheries.

Donna said...

Gracie, I pray for Peace and Comfort for you.
Hugs

averyclaire.org said...

Thinking of you during this difficult transition. Always prayers, hugs, much love.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

These affirmations have been perfect for you. Maybe someone can recommend a day-book with quotes or even a Poem a Day book to continue these thoughts?
Mr H. is at peace now and the memories of him will sustain you over the coming months I'm sure.
Please keep sharing with us, we love to hear about the little things which made up your life together.

Tiffstitch said...

You're doing so well, and having his presence with you can help. No reason why you can't think of him while you're choosing 2 movies so he can help and then you can take your choice. And telling us about your stitching or speaking it out loud is answering his question. He would still want to know. Stitching in his memory is a wonderful idea.

Annette-California said...

I love what Tiff said in her comment before me. Those words you've been stitching have been remarkable to help you thru this part of your journey and they are all beautiful.
Love those angels you were working on too.
Praying for you Grace just to get thru one day at a time. love Annette

Jeanne said...

So very sorry you lost your beloved Denny. It sounds like you were blessed with a good and long marriage, I'm sure this transition will be very difficult. Denny is now at peace and with the Lord and I'm praying for you to find comfort and strength to carry on.

Carolyn said...

Dear Grace,My heart is with you and I understand completely what you are going thru---my sweet husband of 53 years died 14months ago---it is only with the Lord's help that I'm making it. It is the hardest thing I've ever lived thru--- here is the name of a book that is immensely helpful with practical everyday readings.
Healing After Loss--Daily meditations for working Through Grief by Martha Hickman

Julie said...

{{hugest of hugs}} - no practical help at all, but they come with love xxx