Monday, December 5, 2016

Ornaments on the tree day 1

One of the things I love the most about decorating the trees is handling each ornament like it is the first time! Then comes a memory and then finding the right spot....or not. Sometimes my ornaments move about the tree several times. To start let's look at one of the things all my trees have...
The Christmas spider. The main tree is the only one with a web. Through the years I have made these beaded spiders and sent them off to other trees literally around the world....to blog friends. Along with the spider I send the legend (one of the many that are printed).  The spider on the Ana Lee tree is red and the Southwest tree is bronze. Once I had a request for one in purple! One of the other must be on the main tree things is...Santa's Key
This has been a must as I have never had a working fireplace and how else would Santa get in to leave gifts! Many years ago one of my nephews asked about this. "Aunti Grace, I do not have a chimney and I need to be sure Santa can leave my gifts". My answer was that Santa would be a able to use my key because we are family and he will unlock the front door...(I was not going to give up my key and get no gifts!) This totally satisfied him and every year on Christmas Eve when he came to my house he would look for the key. I still place it in front and low enough for a child to find. So that my friends is the first of the ornaments. I love recalling this memory. So that is the first day of ornaments. Glad you could stop by and read about it, hope you will return for the others. Thank you for your kind words and friendship. Have a wonderful day.

10 comments:

Karyn said...

I love your ornament post, Gracie, and fell in love with the Santa key story...how old is your nephew now, and does he still look for the key tradition?
I love the spider web...and cannot for the life of me figure out how you create it! It's beautiful and I bet the purple is fantastic!
Can't wait for tomorrow...I'll be here bright and early
Hugs

Bea said...

Love the story behind the key. Wish my parents had thought of that as we never had a chimney either.

I also have a Christmas spider who comes out every year. Not as big or fancy as yours, but he is a "must" for sure.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

We've always had a chimney but my son would stop me from having a fire too late in the evening so Santa wouldn't burn his toes! He also insisted we leave the carrot outside because "reindeer are not allowed indoors".
The spiders are lovely, I'd not heard that story until I discovered blogs.

Vickie said...

Yes, I enjoyed this post Gracie. Thank you for something cheery on a day I am struggling with.

Anthea said...

Indeed it can take a little time & re-positioning to get the ornaments just as we'd like them... yours are beautiful Gracie.x

Vicki said...

What beautiful ornaments!

lynda said...

I treasure the little Christmas spider you sent me...my grandson looks for it every year too!

Julie said...

Your key is a very special piece of Christmas, how lovely. We have an open fire so the children always thought he came down out chimney like Jo we cant light a fire on Christmas Eve though so the hearth isn't too hot for him.

Astrids dragon said...

I've never heard of the Santa key, what a lovely story. For a spider, yours is beautiful!

Kaisievic said...

Hi Gracie, what a lovely post. I love the story of Santa's key but I do not know the legend of the spider. Can you please tell me? hugs, Kaye