Thursday, December 8, 2016

Ornaments on the tree day 3

I skipped ornament posting yesterday so I could honor my dad and those who were at Pearl Harbor, December 7th 1941. It has always been a special day at my house and although dad died in 1985 it still is for me. anyway, on to the ornaments...
these are story books. They are only 2 1/4 by 3 inches; the Poinsettia, The Christmas Tree, The Yule Log and the Christmas Angel. I have had them since the 1990's and they were from the company, Current. To my surprise they are still in business. We used to group order where I was working.
As you can see there really is a story inside. Each year I read them again as I put them on the tree. Rather than hang them I just set them on a branch here and there so they are easier to pick up and read. I love the lore and legends around holidays. I love the reason behind lights on the tree....and I quote in part .....
"Among the legends of the Christmas tree is one even more dear in religious circles. It seems that when the little Christ Child was born in Bethlehem, not only did the shepherds and the wise men come to pay homage, but the birds, the beasts and even the plants came too. Each visitor had a gift for the blessed baby except the little pine tree. It had nothing to give the Christ Child except its needles, and as the needles might prick the baby and hurt him, that was hardly an acceptable gift at all! According to the legend, God saw how disappointed the little tree was and told some stars to go down and rest on its branches. When they did, the little tree was illuminated with such a warm brilliance......from that time forth the little pine tree always bears lights at Christmastime....
Time for me to have a cup of coffee and think about the plans for my day...even if it is only 3:20 AM! Hope you are enjoying the posts.....thank you for your kind words and friendship. Have a wonderful day.

6 comments:

Brigitte said...

These look very precious and beautiful.

Shelly said...

How nice! I like to hear the lore and legends too.

Kaisievic said...

Oh, I love those books - they must look great, nestled amongst the branches.

Bea said...

Such unique and special ornaments. It's nice to have something so unusual. Love the story of the Christmas lights.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What lovely little books. I have an Advent Calendar with a miniature book every day. The idea is that you read them and then hang them on the tree but our tree is never up in time so they stay in the display folder!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Those are precious! I have the velveteen rabbit in tiny story book ornament form on our tree :)