Thursday, June 1, 2017

Back in the hospital and a lost glass of iced coffee.

When I came home and listened to the several telephone messages. there was one from my sister so I called, first getting my glass of iced coffee from the fridge. Yes, after only being home 2 days, Denny is back in the hospital and it was not easy. On Monday he did not feel well could not swallow well and did not eat. Tuesday was our first Oncology visit and she decided he needed to go to the ER for IV fluids due to dehydration. Off we went at 2:45 PM and for almost 8 hours we remained in the ER...doing this and that; more blood tests and urine tests and a   platelet transfusion along with IV fluids. 10:45 PM,  finally an Observation admission (over night). No sooner are we on the unit and just getting into bed and he went into A Fib mode.. They called for the Rapid Respond team and everyone began to work to get his heart beating normally again. 12:15 AM move to the Cardiac Unit for monitoring...yes, this time dear friends I knew where we were! Once Denny got settled, I left at 1:30 AM. After a few hours sleep I returned yesterday to see what we were going to do. As I turned the corner to enter his room, there was a sign on the door about precautions and I had to enter through 2 doors. Then I saw the bed...completely unmade and pushed aside and no Dennis! Rushed out to the nursing center and they explained he went for tests. What a scare I tell you. Obviously more tests took place and a procedure in the afternoon.  About the room: Because of his almost nil immune system, hands must be washed before entering, a mask must be worn in the room and hands must be washed when leaving the room. Those damn masks are very unattractive...more importantly it is hard to breathe with them on! More doctors in and out and an important conversation with the Oncologist. Another surgical procedure late in the day. Lots of pain for Denny and then he finally settled down. But, just before he did sleep I told the nurse I would be leaving and out of nowhere he says, "sit down". And specifically to sit next to the bed. So, instead of leaving at 7 it was 8ish when I left. I did start my next Affirmation word yesterday, Compassionate and again an appropriate word for me.  Once home I checked the answering machine and a message from my sister Linda. Before calling Linda, I opened the fridge to see what I could quickly eat. Well, I found a glass of iced coffee and 3 cooked shrimp sitting in butter just waiting for me. This morning I remembered the glass of coffee and did not see the glass anywhere. Somehow, it ended up in the living room on the TV stand....who left it there needs a lesson in good housekeeping. Laundry for Denny is now in the dryer and my coffee is almost finished.  Thank you for the lovely cards they mean a lot to Denny and me. Thank you for the kind words and most of all your friendship. The Brother Alan will surely be posting especially on my off days.
Did I mentioned Denny who is always cold complained that the room was too cold and they immediately got the nighttime "engineer" in to fix the temperature. I  actually do not have to wear a sweater! Have a nice day my friends....

14 comments:

Vickie said...

💕

Vickie said...

Gracie and Dennis I am praying.

Irene said...

un abbraccio forte forte!

Vicki said...

Praying for you both, Gracie.

Starry-eyed stitcher said...

This is so difficult for you both. I hope Dennis settles well and you are able to get him home again soon, but for now, try to accept he is in the very best place with the best people caring for him. Stay strong Gracie. Irene xxx ( no response needed xx )

Lynda Ruth Bowers said...

I just sent off a card for Dennis, I am sorry to hear that he is back in hospital. I will keep him in my prayers. Big hugs for you Gracie. love Lynda Ruth

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Oh Grace, you are both having such a tough time. My heart goes out to you - all the way from Scotland.

Janice said...

My heart is there with you and although my prayers have been amended...nonetheless they are constant for you both.

Janice said...

My heart is there with you and although my prayers have been amended...nonetheless they are constant for you both.

butterfly said...


I do feel for you both , you know I am keeping you in my prayers .
Take care and don't forget to eat gracie .
Sending hugs and kisses.

Leonore Winterer said...

I hope this stay will get to be much shorter than the first one, and you'll have him home with you again soon.

Astrids dragon said...

Oh dear Gracie, I'm crying. I'm finally catching up on my blog reading, and I'm so sorry I wasn't "with" you from the beginning of this. I'm praying for you and Denny, and the strength to get through this together. Sending love and big hugs.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Oh all this drama! Do you think Mr H complained about the cold just for you? He's very sweet like that.
I hope this is a shorter visit and he's home again soon.

Julie said...

{{big cuddle}} xx