Sunday, May 28, 2017

Mr H comes home!

It seemed like it was not going to happen. I arrived at the hospital around 8am and Denny was up and eating picking at his breakfast. Immediately I noticed that his right arm was swollen more the left which had been swollen. It was tight to touch and bothering him. He said that the RN had checked him earlier (done each change of shift). After breakfast the RN came in with meds and I brought it to her attention.  Oh no I thought we are not going home today. A call placed to the doctor and ace wrap applied and to be monitored at this time. Problem: his circulation is impaired and DVT mentioned (Deep Vein Thrombosis). Now a lesson in how to apply the ace wrap for me to do at home. We took a lovely walk in the park around the nursing station (2x) and then back for a sit down rest. Still awaiting discharge. Blood pressure has been running low, some changes to the meds he will be taking. A lesson in cutting one of his pills and now we are proud owners of a dandy pill cutter! Denny is anxious about going home but I think once home he will be okay. The injectable med is quite expensive and not covered by our prescription plan.  After some checking our Blue Cross will cover it. So far we met with the Discharge Coordinator , all papers signed for me to take him home, and now the Oncology/Hematology doctor who will be treating my guy. He needs an injection for the white cell count but it has to be ordered and this is a holiday weekend. She goes over a list of what to watch for once home (if we ever get there) and to call her immediately if a problem arises. We must be in her office on Tuesday (if we are out of here by then). Have I told you all the paper work I have received? Today I will build a file! Then the bomb shell. He would not be able to give his own injection do to the extreme edema he is having and will most likely continue to have. Me? Oh no dear nurse, not me.....how could I? I have never given an injection or used a needle. Contrary to my cousin Norman who suggested that I could because of all the needlework I do! What can I say, he is a writer! Anyway I watched carefully as RN Vickie gave Denny the injection into the abdomen.... I do not like needles and do not like watching and now she wants me to do both... never going to happen. Did I mention we are still waiting on discharge. Back comes RN Vickie with the insulin needle and suggests that  me, myself and I give it...no, no I can not. Mr H says I can so I did....I gave my first injection and the patient survived. Said I did  not even hurt him. What discharge, we are still waiting. As 4:30 arrives so does George to transport Denny for a Vascular Ultra sound in both arms to rule out blood clots. Dennis asks that I watch his bed...like who wants it. Finally after dinner which we should have been enjoying having at home, more paperwork  and discharge is on the way. Right! Change of shift and the wait is on. Finally around 8:30 PM we are on our way home. Around 9 PM I finally had a baked sweet potato and fresh fruit. I must have fallen asleep around 11 with orders to my guy to wake me if he needed anything. Friends I am so pleased that we are here, home. We will be careful to watch for all the things on our list and  start this journey together as we have done so this far.  We have a long way to go.....thank you for all the caring kind words and cards (thank you cousin Janice and blogging friend Karen from Averyclaire Needlearts) which have cheered him. Your friendship has truly helped me through this past week. Back to regular blogging with just brief updates on my guy.
To the person who emailed me that she thought this was a stitching blog....remember; it is my blog and I can write and show whatever I wish. I would love for you to follow and enjoy but you do not have to read it when it does not interest you. 

26 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank God you made it home safe & sound. Good to see you haven't lost your sense of humor throughout this tumultuous journey.
This IS your blog write & share what YOU wish for some of us "enjoy" all the tidbits life has to offer & if nothing else are able & willing to pray & rejoice with you in your triumphs as well as mourn your sorrows.
May our Lord Bless you & keep you, may he make his face to shine upon you & give you peace.
Baa

Norman Belanger said...

💜

Brigitte said...

I have followed the last week's posts and I'm so glad that you and Mr H are back home again (big sigh of relief). Take good care of him and of yourself. I wish you both everything you need to take this journey together - courage and strength and some humor. And congratulations, Gracie, on giving your first injection :)))))

Kerryp77 said...

Glad hub is home, hopefully it will be easier now you are home, well done on giving the injection.
The cheek of some people! As you say it is your blog, write what you want!

Janice said...

Oh Gracie I SO enjoy your blogs. Glad Dennis is finally home. There's no place like home and everything is less intense when you're in your own surroundings.
Yes it's a new journey....a road less traveled but one that you will walk down hand in hand. All life's experiences make us so much stronger and when we feel weak God is strong....let Him refresh your spirit and encourage you norh. Always in my prayers ♡ Love you

Janice said...

Oh Gracie I SO enjoy your blogs. Glad Dennis is finally home. There's no place like home and everything is less intense when you're in your own surroundings.
Yes it's a new journey....a road less traveled but one that you will walk down hand in hand. All life's experiences make us so much stronger and when we feel weak God is strong....let Him refresh your spirit and encourage you norh. Always in my prayers ♡ Love you

Shelly said...

Great to hear you are home! I had to chuckle about what your cousin said about the needles. Not crazy about needles either but it's times like these that forces one to get past that. Nice response to the complainer! This country would be in such a better state if everyone just kept quiet and moved along! Hugs to you and Mr. H!

Lynda Ruth Bowers said...

I am so glad you are both home and resting. You write whatever you want on your blog and never mind what any body says. I like to know how you are doing and if there is stitching great, if not I don't care I just want to know how my friend and her husband are doing. So to anyone who thinks this is just a stitching blog hers or mine you can go fly a kite and read somewhere else. Big, big hugs and love to you both. glad your back home.

CalamityJr said...

I do not understand why people complain when a blogger shares something besides stitching. She only needs to read the comments to see that your friends are here to support you and if she doesn't approve, then she should go elsewhere.
Amazing how long it takes to finalize a discharge! Trust me, you're not alone in that! Great job on learning to give injections. After our first year of marriage, my husband's doctor told me that the honeymoon was over and I had to learn how to use that kind of needle. I've been at it for 44 years and now give 3 of his 5 daily, so I have every confidence that you, too, can do this!
Blessings to you and Mr H. You're both fortunate to have each other.

Debbie said...

welcome home!!!!!!

peggysue98 said...

Hope you both got a good night sleep all snug in your beds.

Brita said...

Sooo glad to have you both at home again. I've been following your journey this past week while keeping my fingers crossed - I would have been quite upset if you had suddenly reverted to being a stitching blog and stitching blog only. How can anyone even have the nerve to complain, especially when you are already so stressed and anxious? Hope you'll get to do some stitching now because it would mean that you are both settling down to the new challenge in your life. All the best!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

You must be feeling drained Grace, things should be a little easier to cope with now that hubby is home. Keep your chin up and take care of yourself as well as taking care of your husband.

Vickie said...

Oh Gracie, you are something else. I did not come here today expecting to have a few laughs. ;) So glad you AND Dennis are home. There is no place like home. Still talking about a puppy? Just kidding! Just kidding! ha! ♥

Chookyblue...... said...

Enjoy your time home together.... And write what you want...... We'll either read it or skip to the next blog post.......

Mouse said...

glad to hear that he is home :) well done on the injection ... keep up the good work ... take care of yourself too and as its your blog you can write what the heck you want ... I do ... love mouse xxxxxx

Julie said...

Love and {hugs} to you both. Well done for giving Mr H the injection, i'm proud of you Gracie for overcoming that hurdle. You can do anything xx

Rose Marie Della Ventura said...

What say you both had. Thank God you are finally home. I know you can do anything you have to to take care of your guy. Praying for you both. Love Auntie

Rose Marie Della Ventura said...

What say you both had. Thank God you are finally home. I know you can do anything you have to to take care of your guy. Praying for you both. Love Auntie

Ninetta said...

Welcome back home! I've been praying for you, hugs.

Irene said...

Forza, sarai un'infermiera bravissima e insieme ce la farete ♥♥♥

Sally said...

Sending lots of love to you both. So glad Mr H is back home with you.

Seriously!!!! Some people really do have a cheek! It is your blog and you write what you like!

averyclaire.org said...

So happy you are home now. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with all of us. Writing as you do does help us all to reflect and perk our sense of humour! My prayers continue to be for both of you! Sending hugs and much love!

cucki said...

Welcome home
Sending you hugs x

KimM said...

Grace - it warmed my hear to read Mr. H is home - and CONGRATS on being his Needle Pusher (pardon the pun) ;0) - Please, PLEASE keep blogging about your life on your blog - it's the communicating vehicle you can use to reach out to your friends - that's what this blogging is all about - sharing what you want with others who truly care. Sending much love and hugs to you both -
xxx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

So pleased that Mr H is home again! Even if you are having to treat him like a pincushion. Isn't it amazing what we can do for our loved ones when push come to shove?
Please send me the email of the rude person and I'll tell them how to "not read" blog posts which do not contain stitching. It's not difficult and much easier than taking the effort to email the writer!