Monday, May 22, 2017

Yesterday---Day 3

How do I say how much all of you mean to me? Impossible! Yesterday was a day with more information but no answers yet. Denny slept well in the new room...a private room without noise or distractions; except for the constant monitoring. I think I had left my brain and power of deduction at home yesterday. I had been in the new room for a couple of hours when I left to use the restroom down the hall. As I was walking back and turned the corner to his wing I saw a bulletin board. I decided to stop and read. It talked about quiet time and that the lights around the nurses station would be dimmed  from 2-4 and then again later, and noise kept at a minimum. All doors to the room would remain closed. The unit is quiet to begin with and I think there are only 12 or so patients there. Then the next bulletin board posted about heart disease and heart failure. Still not really reading in my mind. The last board is the white erasable that lists all the room and the patients. The title is Cardiac...what? I turned and caught the eye of one of the nurses. I asked if this was a cardiac unit and with a very surprised and concerned look she replied --yes your husband is here on a cardiac unit. I know she thinks I am an idiot. When I went back to his room there was another clue to this new revelation...on the board in his room it says Cardiac. Tell me, where had my eyes been the entire time I was on the unit and in his room?! Well, I will tell you my eyes were and remain on my Denny....I know sounds corny, but that is a fact. I had great communications all day with his RN. She continually shared information. Every turn seems to be something else. Denny is and always has been a very quiet easy going guy. The doctor came in and I think some realization has hit my guy. The word cancer strikes some fear as does Chemo treatments. We expect to have the tests results, or some of them today (day 4) and then a plan of treatment. They are still having trouble getting blood drawn and he is now on blood thinners because of the blood clot so he is bleeding easily form his IV site. That has to be watched very closely. He is still on IV fluids and now 2 antibiotics. Denny had to go down for more tests and told me to come with him so of course I did. When we  waiting I asked if he was worried and if that was why he asked me to be there...."no, I want to be with you"--- I am glad his eyes were closed because mine were tearing. I did see a spark of his old self a couple of times yesterday...He asked me to give him an Imitrex because his headache was back. Of course I said that we would ask the RN; his reply was "stop following the rules." Every time someone wants to draw blood he rolls his eyes and announces that they just want to poke him.  My list of questions will be ready today when the doctor returns with results. One of us has to ask and since Denny seems to close up I will be his voice. On a lighter note: There were a couple of cards in the mail so  I will bring them to cheer him. I remembered that his fish in the pond had not been fed since Wednesday or Thursday so that was first on the home list. The Dove family is still lingering in the yard. They seem to enjoy sitting under the gazebo. I did remember to water the garden in the morning. I picked 3 tomatoes. I am having trouble sleeping. I sleep in short spurts and that is why at 2 AM I am posting. It is not for lack of being tired, just that my guy is not here....the house is too quiet. 

16 comments:

Debbie said...

Morning Gracie,
today will give insight for the path ahead...there are good 'C' words...caring, compassion and comfort and you have those to a T!

Hugs to both you and Mr. H.

Vickie said...

I am glad you have a list of questions ready for the doctor. Sending you hugs and prayers.

KimM said...

HI, Grace - reading your post brought back so many memories of my days with my mother and step father. Yes, you will be Denny's voice and advocate. You have the strength and determination to do it - and unending love for him. There's no one better suited to be by his side. Sending love and prayers, my friend.
xoxoxo

Lisa Sener said...

Hi Gracie! I am thinking about you,praying for you and Dennis and sending love your way. Being Dennis' voice is going to be so important. My husband and I had some health issues very early in our marriage. So we learned to advocate for each other quite early. It is so good that you can talk to your RN friend even from a distance. I learned so much from my RN BFF. Hang in there as best you can. Lisa
MLSENER@aol.com

Lynda Ruth Bowers said...


I am praying and sending you my love and big hugs. take care of each other. love

Unknown said...

Seems Mr H retains his sense of humor as well as his love for you
Our Lord holds you both in the palm of his hand and his love is unending.
One step, one moment one day
Blessings
Baa

Vicki said...

Sounds like you have great medical personnel caring for Dennis. Continuing to pray...

Joanie said...

When I read your posts, I feel it oozing with love. Denny has a great medical team and he has YOU! I continue to pray for you and for him as time passes and more treatment options are revealed. I also pray for you, for rest. Dear lady, you need to sleep! Maybe your physician can prescribe something mild, just so you can put your mind at ease and rest.

God bless you and your husband and for those who are caring for both of you...

Ann at Beadlework. said...

You wouldn't notice Grace as you would be on automatic pilot with your mind focused on everything else. It's an element of shock that makes us block out the obvious.
Sounds like the care being given is excellent and that's a big comfort to you both. Take care.

Tiffstitch said...

Oh dear. Please take care of yourself as well. Sending kind thoughts your way and fingers crossed for Denny.

Shelly said...

I'm so glad that you are now getting information. With knowledge comes empowerment, I always say. Brought tears to my eyes reading what he said to you about wanting you there. I can't imagine what you are going through, Gracie, but I do hope you can get some little snatches of rest in there somehow. Take care.

shirley flavell said...

Dear Gracie, you are thinking now and that inner strength is coming to the surface. So glad he's in a "quiet" unit and it sounds calm. Take care. Hugs.

butterfly said...


Dear gracie , sorry I have been missing .
I am praying for you both, have faith gracie , we are all there with you and for you .
Be strong , take care hugs and kisses to you both .

Chookyblue...... said...

write questions take notes it's easy to get confused or forget what they said later..........hugs

Julie said...

Take care of you too Gracie. Perhaps you can catch a little snooze in the hospital during those extra quiet times when you have Dennis near to keep up your strength.
Love and {healing hugs} xx

cucki said...

You are in my prayers and thoughts
Sending you hugs x