Friday, May 26, 2017

Day 7...

Goodness, today will be one week since Denny was admitted to hospital. What a week. Yesterday was his first Chemo. It definitely brought him some anxiety and concern and questions, especially after the oncology coordinator visit.  I know they need to prepare you for the what ifs, but it is down right scary. I think he is second guessing having treatment. Concern about the side effects, how much time does he have how many treatments. The alternative? I made it clear that everything concerning him is decision and his alone. She emphasized that I need to sanitize everything all the time, keep him away from anyone ill, no crowds, and on and on. Did you know there is a procedure for flushing the toilet when on Chemo? Having not dealt with Chemo patients, I had no idea of some of he things we will need to do to keep him safe. We have not a road to walk but a hill to climb and we will do it together. He made me laugh several times yesterday....and it felt good to see and hear his humor. They tell me to rest then come in and wake me. I told him I was going to the restroom and he told me to Toddle along little doggie... The CNA was in before each meal for blood check. She asked if she could take a sample, he rolls his eyes....it was good. In the afternoon he listened to a few NE Patriot player interviews on the tablet. He even tried to watch a movie but in they came several times so that ended that. Are you familiar with the Sherlock Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone ? He kept dismissing me like Sherlock would do to Mrs. Hudson.  A flip of the hand! Oh yes, it was good to see him this way and at the same time see him mentally in his own space. I usually stay until the evening meal. Last evening the CNA brought me a tray. When she left I said --- Oh honey how romantic that we can dine at Chez Boswell...he gave me  that look and rolled his eyes. Glad that day is over and now on to today,  Friday---has all this happened in one week? If all went well last night and today, he will be discharged this weekend. So, when I leave him tonight I will be off to Walmart for a supply of disposable gloves and lots of Clorox wipes. My finger will be crossed for a good day for Denny.  Right now, I think I will try to get a couple hours of nap time. Ooooh I just felt a hug...Thank you!
PS...I guess I should tell him the Doves are at it again...another nest and this time back in the wall planter.

11 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

Crossing my fingers that all will be well and he can come home this weekend........
Yes chemo kills all immunity so you have to be very careful and not go near people who are sick......be careful of germs......

Debbie said...

So glad to hear that there were lighter moments, nice.

On your walmart run, check the wipes in the kids section. With our grand kids and their germs ...we bought a case of wipes and leave packages in bathrooms, etc.

Dining in, that's a new one, nice just the same.

Hang in there.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Sounds like things are moving forward Grace. Be careful with hubby's diet - did they speak to you about a "clean diet". When my husband had radical new treatment for non hodgkin's he was given a "clean diet" sheet and it worked. He remained free of stomach issues and also of the infamous sore mouth that can accompany some types of chemo.

Vickie said...

I am glad to read of lighter moments. Hang in there my dear. We are with you two. I am so happy to read of good advice given here for you also. Love and prayers for your both as always.

Lynda Ruth Bowers said...

Don't tell him about the doves or he will want to evict them again. Glad all is going better, dinning in hospital, that's a new one. I don't know as I would call hospital food romantic, at least not the food in our hospital. I am just glad that your brother and Lisa got to visit you and Dennis before all this happened. Have you told them yet. I am crossing all fingers and toes and praying lots and sending great big hugs and kisses to you two. Faith will get you thru this. Have a rest and take care of yourself too. Blessings and love. Lynda Ruth xxx

cucki said...

My dear I am thinking of you so much
Sending you positive vibes and love
Big hugs x

Cindy said...

Thoughts and prayers for you both. 🙏🏻

Starry-eyed stitcher said...

Doesn't that just prove what a gem you have there? I hope you can get Mr H home where he belongs and your life can return to its own rhythm and not that of the hospital, although I am sure all those interruptions were necessary. Take care of yourself so that you can take care of him. Much love Irene xx ( no need to respond, you're busy enough!)

butterfly said...


Good to hear you are having a few happy moments.
Take care sending more hugs and still lots of prayers .

Shelly said...

Hoping Mr. H, and you!, get discharged to go home this weekend! It will be a new normal but home sounds much better dealing with what's ahead. Sending my continued thoughts and prayers your way!

Julie said...

Lovely to read you have had some smiles in your day.