Tuesday, May 23, 2017

News from Day 4

Yesterday brought a plan and then a change. Denny and I had a discussion about his tea...that is correct tea. I fixed it with sugar and creamers and he decided that I must have put or added salt! What??! I said it is your taste buds they are off...no it was the salt. The doctor came in and said that they were going ahead with the plan to drain fluid and insert a port for the chemo later in the afternoon. So it was off all flood and liquids to prepare. The port would also be used to draw blood as they were having great difficulty using veins now.  The afternoon passed and at 3:30 the RN said his platelet count was too low for any procedure so it would be on Tuesday for all to take place. She suggested that Denny order from the menu for evening meal and so he did. When it came to fixing the tea, I suggested he do it himself and handed him the sugar packets. After a few sips he said it tasted salty....this time, he did not say salt was added but that maybe I should bring him sugar form home and his English Breakfast tea. Good thing I could not whack him! Getting back to our day, it was a good rest day except for trips to the bathroom. It means unplugging the monitor, untangling the tubes and walking with the rolling pole. I now know how to get it all done ( of course with his supervision ) and then back to bed.  For a short time he was not his sweet self but rather grumpy and short tempered. I gave him "the knock it off" speech and things were much better.  On Sunday I had taken my Thursday Club stitching bag with me...
In the entire day this was all that I did. It is the Words of Affirmation from Donna at By The Bay Needleworks that I usually do when I join in the Thursday group. Everything that I need stays in the tote bag ready to go. Well, the next word on the list...Patient! How appropriate, he is and I need to be. This is where I left off yesterday (Monday)
Much more accomplished. I leave the tote bag there so it is one less thing to remember each morning. So today is an important day moving forward. We should have the rest of the test results and the port going in and possible coming home on Wednesday. If all goes well. We are so lucky to have all of you sending hugs and good thoughts and wishes. Lucky too that the staff are caring and patient and attentive. It is still scary trying to learn more and keeping my list and notes. AI am not sure how Denny will react to having this port but it certainly will eliminate the need to finding veins. Hope too that they switch him to oral meds for the blood clot and not have to inject himself in the abdomen...you know I can not do it. I think I will try to catch a couple of hours more sleep. He asked me to be there before they take him for the procedure which means I will be arriving at 6 AM instead of 8. Your kind words and encouragement keep me going. I feel the hugs and kisses that you have sent.  I will leave you with this
We still hold hands when we walk together and even just because. These two hands rest on a hospital bed.

12 comments:

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Sending prayers for you both...I hope today goes smoothly and the port is placed and you can begin to move forward...thinking of you both! Love and big hugs...

Lynda Ruth Bowers said...

Love to you both and the biggest hugs I can give.

Janice said...

So thankful that they are being so thorough in his care and that they are moving on to the next step now. My sister had a port and it's so easy and convenient. No more repeated jabs....life is a series of peaks and valleys so keep your heads up and and keep moving forward. Love you and we're both praying daily for God to heal you and give you strength for each day.

Vickie said...

You both continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad things are moving along well.

Debbie said...

Hope things go well today.

ah, tea as it should be.....it is those little hiccups that give perspective to the big picture. Hat's off to you Gracie with keeping everything on course.

Hands together, you're going to be fine!

cucki said...

Love and prayers to you both
Sending you hugs and prayers x

Rose Marie Della Ventura said...

My prayers and thoughts are with both of you. Hang in there. You will get through this. Love Auntie and Uncle 😘

Tiffstitch said...

I hope all goes well with the port today and what a perfect coincidence to have that project out.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Those affirmations are perfect for you right now! I do hope that you can solve the mystery of the salty sugar, those things can really spoil a guy's day.
I do think you are blessed to have a strong, supportive marriage, you'll get through this together, I'm sure.

butterfly said...


We hold you in our prayers , and send you lots of hugs.
It must be so hard for you gracie here is another hug.

blue star stitcher said...

Just catching up on all of your recent posts. What a perfect stitching choice for this week. I know spending time in a hospital can be so trying, all of the tests and being at the mercy of everyone else's schedules and just the not knowing. It always helps to have a competent nurse to explain things and keep you in the loop. Sending prayers for you and your husband, the photo of you holding hands was very touching.

KimM said...

I'm so happy you can be there with DH through all of this. I think about you often....and am keeping you both in my prayers.
xoxox