Wednesday, May 24, 2017

It was day day 5 yesterday...I think

Oh my, I must have been as tired as I thought I was last night. I just woke and the clock said 6:22AM. Today my body aches...I fear it is the chair they call a recliner in the hospital! Long day yesterday. I arrived at 6 AM so I could accompany Denny for the procedure. At 7ish down we went to have the fluid drained and a transfusion for the blood cells. It was still a low count so this was necessary. They also put in the port. They explained all this but still I thought why all this? It was more real seeing this thing that would now become part of him. He did well, all took about one hour and right back to the room. Denny actually ate a little better for lunch and dinner. Did I mention this place is freezing? I swear I am going to be ill from the cold. The temp outside yesterday was 104, and 103 the day before and I emerge from the hospital wearing a sweater which is on all day! I think I am in a fog---just tried to pour milk into my coffee with the cap still on....oh dear, it is going to be another long day. We spoke with one of the doctors just before I left, actually I was already down in the main lobby when my phone rang asking me to return to talk with him. We reviewed the DNR--do not resuscitate policy. Always a pleasant thought. After the doctor left Denny was angry with me, said I asked too many questions. But if I do not ask who will? He does not so I must. One thing is for sure, I am glad of the  medical knowledge ( minimal as it is) I have. Dear DianeD sent me a PM with encouragement and a few questions. She is a long distance life line. All of you are so kind and caring. I know I can reach out and touch you. Right now though, I need to get myself together. The pond fish will be hungry and the plants refuse to drink water by themselves! I have to read my list to remember what I must take with me today once I find it. I think today will have some drama especially if the tests results are ready. it is already Wednesday....it is isn't it. So glad to have you all to talk with. 

12 comments:

Lynda Ruth Bowers said...

Hope you liked the card I sent you, still praying for you both. Big, big hugs and love. Lynda Ruth

Irene said...

un abbraccio forte e forte ♥

Debbie said...

You're doing just fine Gracie....it's one step at a time.

Keep asking those questions, it is important.

From the person sitting in the hospital bed, it's natural to get angry, well just a bit. Being plucked away from routine is hard on everyone.

Ask for a warm blanket if you get too cold while sitting. Most hospital have the warming units near the nursing stations.

take care

Joanie said...

One step at a time, one day at a time. Continue to ask questions, information is your friend! Praying hard for both of you!

valerie said...

I've been reading about Mr. H but wanted to comment to let you know I am thinking about you. Hang in there and continue to be Mr. H's advocate. Someone needs to ask the questions and stay informed on his progress and men can be stubborn! Sending you hugs from California.

butterfly said...


We are still here for you my friend with all your other friends praying each day .
Take care, stay strong lots of hugs,

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

You're doing great! And yes, you do need to ask those questions. If Mr H doesn't like it then tell him you'll talk about him when he's not in the room next time!
Remember to take care of yourself too; eat, drink and keep warm. Hospitals here are always too warm for some reason.

Starry-eyed stitcher said...

Hi Gracie, I am so sorry you and Mr H are having to deal with all this, but you are doing so well and you are doing all the right things. You seem to be worried about the injections to prevent clots, but please don't be. I had to do it for two weeks after knee surgery and although it's not pleasant it really isn't too bad. I found it better not to think about it, but just do it. Thinking makes you tentative and swift and sure is the better way. Keeping fingers crossed for my favourite bologging couple. Like Jo said, look after yourself too. Irene xxx. ( please don't worry about a reply)

Vickie said...

I am glad to know you got to ask those questions Gracie. Now for the test results. We are all here for you. Still keeping you both in prayer my friend.♥

Chookyblue...... said...

make sure your looking after yourself and eating well........goodluck for today.......

CalamityJr said...

I'm praying for you both. As others have said, keep asking your questions. You need to know what's going on so you can best care for the love of your life.

Janice said...

Moving forward is the key. I'm glad you're aggressive with wanting to know what's happening with Dennis and what the road looks like from here on in.... (((hugs)))