Saturday, August 9, 2014

A cording experiment

Sometimes I find things to amuse me and other times to teach me but always I try things for the sake of trying. I am waiting for a cording tool to arrive from Amazon.com but in my search I found videos on other ways to make cording. One was using the bobbin winder on the sewing machine, and another using an electric drill. Yet another used an electric mixer. Now, I did not want to use my sewing machine, I did not dare touch Mr H's drill so that left the mixer.

The cord at the top was with the mixer. I used my hand mixer of course not the stand one and still managed to get my finger caught in the one beater!  The bottom cord is made by hand twisting with a pen. Each was with DMC 6 strand floss folded over itself twice equaling 4 strands at 32 inches. Finished length is approximately 11 1/2 inches with the mixer and about 10 inches by hand. The object is to control the mixer for thickness. Conclusion: leave the mixer for baking, and until the tool arrives, twist by hand. Not that I do not like the mixer cord, but I do not wish to break a finger. These will make nice ornament hangers.
I have been stitching on Elizabeth and have almost finished the outside border. I am enjoying taking my time with this one. I am about to finish the stitching on my strawberry and made a start on Amazing Grace. I love to keep busy. I just wish the draws in my brains file cabinet would stay shut so I would not find other projects.  I really just noticed that the picture of the linen I dyed, the Apple Green is not what it shows. I will take another picture and hope to capture the truer color.  So glad you visited today and hope you will again....thank you for the kind words.   Hope you have a great day.

Today, give a stranger one of your smiles.  It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.  
 H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

12 comments:

Shelly said...

I bought a cording tool couple years ago and have yet to try it! I found the instructions hard to understand. On Vonna's The Twisted Stitcher tutorials, she has instructions that are understandable. I would stitch slow on Eizabeth, too, because she's going to be beautiful when you're done! Have a great Saturday, Gracie.

rosey175 said...

Ohhh, you are brave for attempting the mixer! It makes a tight cord but eeeek. I think I would leave it for baking too. :)

Heather S said...

Great cord, there are many ways on the web that show you how to cord. I have a little tool similar to a mixer but much less dangerous.

butterfly said...

Loved reading about your cording I found it amazing.
I brought a cord tool and it is the best thing I ever brought you can cord any thing I just love it .

cucki said...

Great cord..love reading about it
Sweet hugs x

Brigitte said...

So far I have only known how to make a cord by hand. Making one with the mixer is a new-to-me way, lol. But I think I'll stay with my own hands because it always works fine.

Annette-California said...

WOW how cool! Great cords you made. So far I have made mine by hand and by bribing who ever is nearest to me in the house to assist me:)
Hope you share your thoughts on your new tool once you get it and try it out! love Annette

Hazel D said...

Great cords. I wouldn't be in a rush to repeat your experience with the hand mixer either. I usually use the pencil and door handle method although if I want to make a long cord I will borrow my friend Lynn's cording tool which works very well

Minnie said...

You shouldn't have told me about the mixer thing, the kid in me now wants to try it. :-)

KimM said...

Love the cords. I have a little hand cranked cord maker….which I love. I tried the mixer, but wasn't that pleased with how I handled it. The pencil took too much hand-eye coordination - HA!
xxxx

Karen said...

I just discovered your blog today...what lovely work you do! And you are a way braver person than I am! I hate to imagine the havoc I could inflict on myself if I tried to make cording with an electric mixer!

Julie said...

My son bought me a cording tool for Mothers Day and I have yet to try it out.... don't tell him I said that!