Thursday, August 7, 2014

Playing with color

Last week I bought a chart, Amazing Grace. It was ordered for me by The Attic and when I went to pick up the remainder of my Elizabeth Doll order it was in. What I did not do was purchase linen for it. What to do? Well, since it is a 51 mile one way drive there, I decided I would dye my own. I finally bought the dye, but of course like chips, I can never eat buy just one.....
going from left to right: the Rit color is Apple Green, small square is a quick dip into Rit  Navy, the middle is Sunshine Orange and finally Navy. For the Navy I left it in the bath for several minutes, until I liked the color. I have no idea what I will stitch on the Apple Green but I do have an idea for the Orange. Such fun playing with color! There are so many good designer out there. Sometimes we get into the habit of stitching from only one or two. Now that is not necessarily bad, but I am trying to discover other designs. This was found by Mr H while he was roaming around The Attic. I love the hymn and have often been referred to as Amazing Grace.....

I am pleased with the shade the dye bath gave me. The chart is by Brenda Riddle Designs. I will be stitching on 32 count and not sure if I want to use the recommended thread, WDW White Lightening. I may go with DMC white or B5200 or maybe a very light grey.... have to think about it. Anyway, I will look into what other designs she has. I just noticed the time! It is 4 am...what ... how can I be so busy?! Update on Elizabeth; still working slowly on this and  I am in no rush with it. I really enjoy the process of stitching a design and never try to hurry it along. While Mr H was in for his procedure yesterday (which seemed to take forever) I began a small BBD Strawberry design...nice pass the time stitching. I would like to fill it with emery sand.... has anyone  used this and if so any suggestions? I would appreciate any thoughts on it. Okay, it is really time for me to settle back for a while before doing laundry, the market and so forth. It is always nice to have you visit with me and thank you for the kind words. Your friendship is like a big hug ..... have a good day.

A hug is a handshake from the heart....

10 comments:

cucki said...

Ooooo lovely colors...and grace is so sweet..enjoy my dear
Sweet hugs x

butterfly said...

You are brave gracie love the colours.

Ele said...

love your choice of colors. The apple green one is fantastic, you will certainly find the perfect chart for it!
have a lovely day

stitchersanon said...

Wow, amazing colours. Love them all! Hugs right back at you xx

Annette-California said...

Your fabrics came out beautiful! Great job on dying them. I have no idea for the filling of your strawberry. I will learn from you and see what you use.
love Annette
ps amazing what you get stitched while waiting for appts:)

Blu said...

I love your fabrics! They all look so great.

DebbieSFL said...

I love your dyed fabrics, maybe you could explain your process on your blog...I would love to be able to dye some, but a little nervous and not sure how much dye to use.

Heather said...

Those colours turned out really nice. How brave of you to give dying a try.

I made a little strawberry and put emery in it. It turned out well. The key is to make sure the fabric has a tight weave (or to line your project with a fabric that has a tight weave). Also, you don't need to fill the whole thing. My strawberry just has emery for the bottom 1/3 or so, and the rest is fibre fill.

Another option is crushed glass. My LNS sells tiny bags of it for too much money. ;)

Hazel D said...

Love your hand dyed linen

Your Amazing Grace chart is beautiful and has introduced me to a new designer. My to stitch list gets longer all the time..... But I just bought some Cashel linen in Granite (on sale) and it looks like it would be perfect for this chart.

Julie said...

Beautifully dyed linen.
A great new chart chosen by Mr H, so perfect for his lovely wife.