Sunday, July 21, 2013

Something old.....something new

And there is no wedding! I really do love re-discovering items in my cupboards and boxes...,. some have bittersweet memories, some bring tears and some just bring such joy. The other day I went looking for something I could use for my tatting....I found something.....
but no, never! Why?  because this is the sewing box that I put together with the help of a very little girl many years ago. Actually it was 1995. The child is The Brother Alan's little girl who is not so little anymore. At the time she was about 3 and now...well, in May she turned 20!  Before she was born, her mom Colleen and I made her bedroom accessories. Teaching Colleen to sew was so much fun.  Elyssa probably has no memory of this box that delighted her so. She carefully picked out all the scrap fabric and the threads and every time we were together, she would sit in my sewing room with me and we crafted together. The box is now in my current sewing room and out of the cupboard. So you see, I can never use this.... for me it is a touch of joy.
For the something new...
Yesterday Debra came over to Tat and Chat...she showed me how to tat over a cabone ring. An old  word for a plastic ring....
This will eventually become a snowflake motif. First I will need lesson 2 to make split rings or something like that! I was suppose to have about 11 picots, but I have 16... geez.... and I was so happy to get it finished. I think however, you van have mo=re or less and will need to adjust the next round accordingly. Listen to me! I sound like I know what I am talking about! Next Saturday Debra and I will meet to go for our monthly outing and lunch. We plan to go to a few shops in the Glendale Historic area. Should be fun.
It is definitely a very overcast day ... humid and hot.... maybe a rain storm moving across our area. they did display flood warnings for our county.The ground is so compact and hard and as we hardly get rain, it is easy to have flooding. Well, that is about it. My laundry #2 is ready for the dryer... and I need another cup of coffee and breakfast. I am so happy we get to spend time together.... thank you for the kind words. Have a wonderful day.

9 comments:

Jennifer M. said...

I am extremely impressed that you are doing tatting. It looks so delicate and dainty. I'm sure it takes much patience to get the hang of it.

Speaking of storms, my family that lives in Phoenix said there was a bad storm a few nights ago. So bad in fact, it destroyed their gazebo they had.

Stay safe :-)

cucki said...

Beautiful tatting.i love it ❤❤
Stay safe dear..sending you hugs x

Patty C. said...

Sweet memories ;)

Heather said...

Lovely memories in that sewing box and she may want to come back to it later.

Mouse said...

awwww how lovely to have suck good memories of the wee sewing box ... and you are getting soo good at the tatting .... and you are far more knowledgeable than I am ...lol..
take care and enjoy your day out too :) love mouse xxxxx

Pam in IL said...

You sharing the story about Elyssa reminds me so much of my daughter. My daughter and Elyssa are the same age and born in the same month which means that we were sharing time with a little 3 year old at the same time in 1995.

Love seeing your tatting.

I hope we get some rain here.

Annette-California said...

Beautiful sewing basket & beautiful story. Glad you have it out now. Your tatting ring is already looking very pretty Grace. Hope you don't have any flooding. love Annette

Julie said...

A very beautiful sewing box full of memories, how wonderful.

Silverlotus said...

The basket is so lovely. And what wonderful memories. ♥