Monday, January 28, 2013

Humbug and rain

Another rainy day here in The Valley of The Sun.... day 4 but who's counting. My chimes are singing in the strong breeze. Today is our monthly stitch group and I really do enjoy this get together.  Today we will be having a class on Sashiko which will be taught by one of our members Ann. I am sure you know what this is, but in case there is one who may not... it is the Japanese quilting stitch.  History says it goes back to the 18th century and started as a way to mend worn-out clothing for the farmers and fishermen.  Today it is used not for mending, but for embellishment of clothing.
Speaking of embellishment... Just Nan Winter Humbug is finished..
I am pleased with the finish. The pearls and silver seed beads add bling and the blue peanut beads are fun. The Lovely snowflake counting pin is so pretty. I stitched this on 28 ct Cashel linen called Blue Dynasty.  All threads used were the listed threads. I know there are 2 others in this collection so I may have to get them ...

The lack of get up and go that I have had has become a cold. I feel like a little girl.... runny nose, teary eyes and slight cough. Lucky for me no fever and no sore throat.  It is just a tiny one so for that I am grateful.  Just enough of this and that to make it an irritation in more ways than one. But, today I feel much better. Never left the house since I walked in on Saturday evening from work.   I think today will be a long pants day and maybe a sweater.... how about you? Are you staying warm and dry?  Thank you for the kind words and emails.... hope your day is fun.

13 comments:

Cleejoow said...

what a cute finish! never tried one of these... must get one on to my never ending "to stitch list"

cucki said...

Wow it is looking so pretty..well done xxx

Vickie said...

Love Just Nan, great job! I hope you feel better real soon Gracie.

Julie said...

Such a pretty humbug. I didn't know what that stitch was, thanks for enlightening me, I've learnt something today.

Dawn said...

very beautiful

butterfly said...

We also have rain again and high winds. Love your
humbug so pretty, hugs.

Teresa said...

Love your little humbug, very nice.
Hope your little cold up and runs away soon.
We are enjoying a drier warmer winter in CA now that we sent it to you. You should send it on along to some other state.
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

Cardygirl said...

Glad you are feeling a little better. I don't think that rain makes you feel brighter, do you? Love the humbug.

Annette-California said...

Just nan is so pretty Grace. Hope you are feeling better. I am finally all rid of my cold (since Xmas). Yes I have been stitching every day adn keeping warm:) love Annette
ps have lots of hot tea my friend.

Sandra Kaye said...

I for one LOVED the rain:):) Your tree is super sweet :):) Hugs

Meg said...

Hello Gracie

We had rain overnight and it's one of my favourite sounds.
Your humbug is beautiful!

Caitlin Jordan said...

great stitching :D We had 4 days of rain then followed by a flood.

geeky Heather said...

Congratulations on the finish; it is beautiful!