Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Hot---Humid--Hankies

Another Monsoon hot humid morning. Inside for the day for sure.
Do you call them hankies? If not, you know them as handkerchief's. When I was a small girl of 7 my Aunti Lucie taught me to crochet....then my Aunti Angie taught me to crochet around a handkerchief.....Many years later and many crochet projects, I met an elderly woman who know my love for hankies and gave me this....
It is a glass box to keep them in. Look how tattered and faded the ribbon is. All of it hand sewn on. I will guess that since I was given this around 1982 and the lady was 90 years old and told me she had it for "many many years"....it is quite old.
The ribbon is glued around the frame then the hinged part is stitched. If you look real careful into he corner you will see a hint of peach color ribbon. I have some of my hankies in here.
The lavender lace trimmed one was a gift from a friend's (Carol M) grandmother when I graduated from middle school. She crocheted the lace on then crocheted around the edge.... the blue trimmed one is one of the first that I made and the yellow is as I progressed.
Just look at how worn the ribbon is....
This one is one that was given to me by my Aunti Angie....dated around thew 1950's...it is plastic.

 













It may be plain, but it is special. As a young girl it is where I kept my hankies. Growing up in the 1050's and 60's, a youn lady never left the house without her hankie!
Tomorrow will be stitch stuff....hope you enjoyed my glass box....hope your day is terrific. Thank you for all the kind comments and emails.

10 comments:

Blu Stitcher said...

It's beautiful.. What a wonderful gift to have gotten.

Cindy said...

The boxes are beautiful as are the hankies. Given all the push to recycle we should consider hankies rather than tissues.

Lee said...

They're wonderful!

Roberta said...

Hi Gracie, just love the hankerchief box and how special that you have this what a wonderful gift.

SoCal Debbie said...

Both hanky boxes are lovely!

Mouse said...

oooo I haven't seen one of those before .. love the history behind them all and the delicate lace and crocheting too :) love mouse xxxx

geeky Heather said...

I never knew there was such a thing as a hankie holder! How neat; thank you for posting these!

Gabi said...

Never saw one of these boxes before. They're gorgeous. So are the stories behind both of them. These boxes don't hold only hankies, but memories too same time. :)

Dani - tkdchick said...

What lovely and neat hankie boxes!

Melanie said...

I love this post! I have a bunch of crochet edge hankies that were given to me from my mother though, honestly, I'm not quite clear if she crocheted all of them herself (she knew how at one point), if they were given to her by another relative, etc. but I don't care either way. I just love looking at them and the work that went into those delicate lacey edges. They ARE very special. :)