Monday, December 12, 2016

Manger Herbs


Every year also on my tree is the list of Manger Herbs. I used to have a small bag of them to put with the tag but after so many years they did not look to great so I tossed them and never did find another. There are 9 listed and why they are chosen. Let me share them:
Rosemary for remembrance.  This is the chief herb of Christmas. Rosemary hid the Holy family during the flight to Egypt. Our Lady's Bedstraw used for bedding. Fresh grass said to have been Mary's bed. Rue, the herb of grace, vision virtue & virginity. Lavender the symbol of purity. Lavender received its lovely scent because it served as a drying rack for the Baby's swaddling clothes. Pennyroyal, a small creeping mint that tradition says blooms on Christmas Day. Horehound, a native of Palestine, it was on of the bitter herbs of Passover and symbolizes the flight to Egypt. Thyme, the symbol of strength and courage. Chamomile is the symbol of patience and cheerfulness under adversity. And lastly, Sweet Woodruff the symbol of humility. It is said that all of these were found in the manger hay. One day I will gather all of them again and the sweet smell will grace my tree.   I love reading this card each year as I place it in the tree. I hope you enjoyed reading about it. Thank you for your kind words and friendship. Have a good day.

7 comments:

Vickie said...

I have NEVER heard of or seen this Gracie. How very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Have a good night now!

Bea said...

That was a first for me - thank you so much for sharing it.

Ele said...

How interesting! Thank you for sharing

Kathy H said...

I had never seen that before. I really enjoyed reading about it.

Cindy's Stitching said...

This is new to me also. Love my herbs. Thank you for sharing

Julie said...

I've never heard of this list, thanks for sharing it.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a lovely list. I wonder what the origin is? It would make a lovely Sampler too, with the words down the middle and pictures of the herbs on each side.