Friday, August 26, 2016

The unhappy needle puncher


Here it is 3:30 AM and I am still frustrated with my project. Let me start with, I ordered exactly the Valdani threads listed. When they arrived, I though that they would be fine....not so.
As you can see from the pattern photo the colors are nothing like the actually project. I can live with the clothing colors and even the mistletoe color..... but not the sky or the snow colors. I do understand dye lot changes but these are more than that, they are not the same colors period. It has the look of a dreary day. Why is it that the model picture, which is what sometimes draws you to the project and the actual listed colors do not match at all...not at all. I have never had this happen before. So.....my friends I will begin to pull out the loops and smooth out my fabric and wait for the new colors which I ordered last night to arrive. And because there is a minimum order $$ amount to order, I had to buy something else to bring up the amount. Understand that I am not a cheapie but I do mind spending $30.00 more for thread for this project on top of the $60.00 already spent. Lesson learned, try to really compare (although some of the sample thread pictures are not the best) thread colors and make changes. I plan to write to the designer to explain why I am unhappy.... models should be stitched in the listed colors and these certainly were not. Rant over , well until I begin the dismantling of the sky.
When I began the project I said I needed to get a scissor that would enable me to trim the treads closer....glad I did not buy another one because I already had the perfect curved pair. I have a fair amount of scissors like many of you so it was simply overlooked. These are really just right. Thank you for the kind words for The Brother Alan...even he liked the post. I had planned a different post for today but it can wait. This rant was important to unload. I am lucky that you even listen! Thank you for being here and for your friendship and very kind words. Have a good day....

9 comments:

Vickie said...

Well that just stinks. Sorry Gracie. At least removing needle punch appears to be easy. Have a better day my friend!

Annie said...

Story of a stitcher's life online I'm afraid. I really wish I had a well-stocked LNS close by so I could see the fabric and threads in person before I bought them. Besides being way cheaper, it's why I tend to stick with DMC.

Shelly said...

That's quite a difference. I hate that! The amount of money you spent, ugh. Hope the new order works much better:)

Karyn said...

That really stinks, Gracie! I have had that happen so many times I can't tell you.
I wonder what the deal is with most HDF, do they photograph different than they appear in real life, and if so why don't the designers have the pics taken outside where the color will show it's most true self...the age old stitcher's quest...making the finished project look the same as the chart photo...
It is a beautiful WIP, and I do love the colors, so far...even the sky...but I am looking forward to seeing the sky in it's next color. I am sending positive thoughts for easy frogging, dear.
Hugs

Bea said...

How utterly frustrating for you! I've had that happen once (what was photographed was a cheery red, what the colour number matched to was a strident orange. Huh?) and I've been suspicious ever since. And extra annoying to have to spend all that extra money. I hope everything pulls out easily.

Brigitte said...

In the past I had this from time to time that the colours on the picture were not the same as the indicated thread colours. So, I usually match the threads with the picture of the project. Which makes me happy. I hope that the colours you ordered are better than the old ones.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That is so annoying! You expect a little difference between dyelots and lighting but that background colour is quite clearly a very different colour altogether.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Gracie, I know you don't like it, but I honestly like yours better than the model. I agree the snow shouldn't be dirty looking, but that sky...I love that! You really have fabulous punching technique to get it to look like that. I hope though that the new colors are just the thing :)

Just Another Old Geezer said...

Sorry to hear of your dilemma, but still the project looks absolutely amazing!!
http://allcrossstitchpatterns.yolasite.com/Apple-Cross-Stitch-Patterns.php