Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Advent Blog Hop..it's my day!

Once again I am participating in Jo's Advent Blog Hop and I am day 9. First something to look at...
I am not sure if you have seen this Santa before, but I stitched him many many years ago. I found him in a magazine and do not remember which one but I still have the magazine pages! He proudly dangles from an ornament hook in my sewing room when he is not dangling from the Christmas tree. I have made only a few as gifts. The other step in our posting is to tell you about the best Christmas gift we have received.This is not as easy.. I can think of several; like the first sewing machine Mr H bought me so I did not have to wait until a trip into the city to use mom's, or the beautiful ring he bought me to replace my wedding band or the new car 2 years ago on December 23rd. Instead I will take you back to when I was thirteen years old. Dad asked what I wanted for Christmas. It was a question parents ask even if they do not have much money for gifts. I wanted my own record player and just one album...that of Paul Anka. I loved music and the radio was on all the time in our house. Well, the day came and there it was! A red and white box that played----- yes, Paul Anka.

The year, 1960...songs like Puppy Love, Put Your Head on my Shoulder, Lonely boy.....
That was the start of a collection that mounted to over 500 45's and 300 albums. Before you ask, I do not have them any more. When we packed up 10 years ago to move West, I sold them all. The "record box", that lasted many years but when it exactly left my bedroom I do not remember. My love affair with Paul is still there..... got to see him in person once... Mr H,  well, I will leave that for another day....hope you have a wonderful day.....glad you could stop by to see me.

25 comments:

Mii Stitch said...

A sweet little post and I really like your Santa ornament :) It's really cool!

Vickie said...

That is an AWESOME Santa!
What a neat, neat memory and story Gracie.

Debbie said...

Hi Gracie,
Your ornament is beautiful!

Thanks for sharing your Paul Anka story...sweet memories!

Astrids dragon said...

How cute and fun to share with others.

I remember getting a box of 45's in a yard sale for a couple of dollars when I was younger - drove my parents crazy when I played them all the time!

Shelly said...

What a great Santa! Nice story, made me smile because when I was 9, I asked for a record player for my birthday along with an album of the Staple Singers! And I got it! Have a great day!

cucki said...

So sweet my dear x

Sheryl S. said...

Gosh, amazing Santa.

Lynda Ruth Bowers said...

Hi Gracie, thanks for the link to the twisted sister. I was just there and boy is it helpful. love your Santa. hugs Lynda Ruth

butterfly said...

Love your Santahow cute , you do stitch some lovely things .

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part again this year. I love your Santa ornie and his curly beard.

Great story too about an enduring love for music and Paul Anka!

Vonna, The Twisted Stitcher said...

My Mother had that album and I listed to it when I was a young girl on my very own record player :)

Caitlin D said...

Sweet story. :-) Santa is so cute!

Sally said...

What a lovely present and I love your Santa too x

Annette-California said...

Beautiful Santa Gracie! Loved your sweet little Christmas story.
love Annette

shirley flavell said...

Lovely memories and a beautiful Santa. Hugs Shirley

Julie said...

A lovely post Gracie, your santa is beautiful.

cheryl said...

Your Santa is wonderful! Merry Christmas!

jocondine said...

So original ornament, Merry Christmas Joyeux Noël ;)

Kaisievic said...

Love your Santa and I love your sweet story about your record player. What a lovely Christmas memory to have and to share.

Jacquie Morris said...

Doing the Advent Blog hop thought I would pop in and visit you :)
Your Santa is lovely, oh love his beard, he is adorable :)
Such a lovely memory too :)
Merry Christmas
Smiles :)

Katie said...

I'm late hopping by. Love your ornament. How adorable.

rosey175 said...

That is a LOT of records! I guess I shouldn't say anything; we have about as many CDs now. It's a shame you had to sell yours off when you moved although it would've been quite the endeavor to move that many~

Brigitte said...

Such a cute Santa. And oh yes, Paul Anka. I think you and I must be about he same age because I remember a lot of his songs that I was listening to when I was young.

Gillie said...

Lovely story and love the Santa!

Hazel D said...

Love the ornament and your story about Paul Anka. My record collection started slightly later but was still 45s, EPs and LPs. And I don't have my collection either