Thursday, December 5, 2013

Day 5 Advent Blog Hop

Today I am Day 5 of Jo's Advent Blog Hop. Be sure to visit her blog to see the other past days and for the upcoming posts. A wonderful way to meet new friends and visit will old friends.
This is my crazy quilt stocking that I hang every year. I made It was my first real crazy quilting. I had no pattern but thought I can do this. I used velvet for the toe along with lame' and gold cording and a heart charm, a tiny jingle bell and lace. This was made over 20 years ago. Jo asked us to share traditions. In some cases, time and circumstances cause changes in our lives. When Mr H and I moved across country 9 years ago, that is what happened for us. There are no family members here and friends also left behind. The 2nd year here, I started a Christmas Open House in our community and it is still going on. We have 27 homes in our HOA and each year 3 volunteer to host an open house. Different refreshments are served at each stop. It has been a way for all of us to share the holiday when many of us have no family here. I have marvelous Christmas memories of gatherings when I was a child....at Grandma's house. Also fun filled ones when back in RI. How about a recipe that I used to make back there? Important to note...This is not low calorie but oh so good.
Potato Fudge
3 squares unsweetened chocolate       
1/8 tsp salt
 4 Tbsp margarine                            
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup mashed potatoes    
1 box powdered sugar   
nuts optional         
Melt chocolate & margarine in double boiler. Remove from the heat and add mashed potato, salt,vanilla mixing well. Slowly add sugar stirring well as you add. When to hard to stir, knead like a dough till smooth and glossy. Add nuts (if desired) at this time and then press into a buttered 8' pan ( I use a glass baking dish) and set aside until set. Cut into square.I usually make my squares small as this is very rich fudge. 
Tomorrow's Advent Blog Hop post will be by Gaynor...be sure to visit and maybe make a new friend.
As always, I am happy to have you visit and enjoy your kind words. Hope you have a great day.

14 comments:

Vickie said...

I love your stocking Gracie! So very pretty. I have never heard of Potato Fudge. Cool!

Shirlee said...

You did a great job on your stocking Gracie! I really like how you organized the yearly Christmas Open House! It sounds wonderful! I wish you a very happy & blessed Christmas!

stitcheranon said...

The stocking is so cute..and it just goes to show what can happen in a community if just one person makes a start. I have never heard of potato fudge before but will def. give it a go.

EvalinaMaria said...

Stocking is lovely and, what a combination - potatoes, vanilla and chocolate... must try! How big is a box of sugar? A cup?
Have a wonderful Christmas!

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Your stocking is gorgeous!!! The lace trim is lovely. What a beautiful heirloom to hang up each year :) I've always wanted to try crazy quilting, and something smaller like this would probably be a good place to start. Merry Christmas!

Shelly said...

Pretty stocking! I'll have to try that potato fudge. First time I've ever heard of potato fudge! I found a recipe for pinto bean fudge that I've been wanting to try but it means cooking a pot of beans-ugh! That's a very nice tradition you started. Sometimes all it takes is one person..

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part, I love the patchwork stocking.

The Community Christmas sounds great too, a lovely idea.

I have also never heard of potato fudge, sounds very interesting!

Kaisievic said...

I love the idea of your open house at Christmas, so generous of you all. Merry Christmas.

Julie said...

Your patchwork stocking is beautiful.

A wonderful celebration you started with your fellow neighbours.

Carolyn Nye said...

Gracie,
What a beautiful stocking. I love all the trims! You are so creative.

What a fun time with your neighbors and friends.

Never heard of this recipe. It does sound delicious!

Astrids dragon said...

I love your stocking, I wish I had the patience to sew like that.
Your potato fudge sounds interesting, I'll have to try it the next time I make mashed potatoes!

cheryl said...

Lovely stocking! I enjoyed my visit to your blog during the Advent Calendar blog hop. Happy Holidays!

geeky Heather said...

I adore your stocking! Good for you on starting the Open House tradition...it sounds like a wonderful event. And so few of us really know our neighbors these days! The Potato Fudge is very interesting; makes me want to try it right now!

Gillie said...

I love your idea of the Open House, we too have no family close so friends are important! Love your stocking!