Monday, July 1, 2013

Meet Hazel

Remember I mentioned that Debra brought me a gift......first let's start at the start. When we met, Debra brought a show and tell of tools needed for tatting. Just like with all our other crafts, there are items we need to do the job easily and correctly. Well, one of these tools is an awl. I did not have one. I did go out to buy one. The first place I tried was Ace Hardware. Now if there is one thing I hear everyday is that I have an accent and sometimes often I am asked to repeat myself. Usually I spell things out. Anyway, the clerk did not first know what I was saying and then after spelling it out she did not have one! Back to my "Tool Kit".... I improvised with a few needles and then Debra visited.


Meet Hazel. I must say that this gift brought tears to my eyes. This awl belonged to Debra's mom. She passed away some years ago and Debra thought that her mom, Hazel, would have like me and our friendship so it was fitting that I should have this. Hazel was a beautiful tatter as I have seen a few of her pieces. The beauty of friendship and sharing. Now before I cry again...
I finished the beaded snowflake that was confusing to me. Of course once I had Debra by my side to start me off.....


I was able to complete it last night. I really am proud of my new found ability! Oh I know, we should not be braggers, but I am so happy that I can actually tat. My dear Aunti Angie who tried so many years ago would be so proud of me. I actually found one of the handkerchiefs she made for me.... another photo op, another day. So far I have 4 of my goal for making 12 ornaments for my tree. I would love to make a few as gifts also. Last year I made and sent Christmas Spiders, which I would do again and Reindeer Food to some children and would love to again this year. Now I will add the tatting. I love sharing my work... it is such a compliment when someone asks for something I have made. Remember the bracelet the other post? My Cousin Janice back in RI has asked for one in black... I think it will be very pretty. I must get to the bead shop soon so I can make it for her.
Well my friends, it is already  a hot day and it is still quite early. We have yet another Arizona wild fire up to the North of me...this has cost the lives of 19 firefighters. A sad start to the week. I continue to stay cool indoors with the air conditioner and the ceiling fans running. Hope all of you are well and comfy. Thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to visit with me. Hope you have a nice day.

7 comments:

Annette-California said...

Oh Grace how incredible that Deb gave you her mothers awl. I got teared up reading your story about Hazel. Truly a heartfelt gift from Deb. Your needlework/tatting is gorgeous. What an accomplishment, you have every right to be proud. It's hot here too already this morning. I plan to keep near the air:) Thank you for sharing.
love Annette

meggie said...

A lovely story and beautiful tatting.

cucki said...

So sweet and beautiful tatting x

Mouse said...

awwwww what a lovely gift .. and one that is truly appreciated too ... love your tatted ornaments with the wee beads shining among the white cotton :)
its been quite warm here at the mouse house too today :) love mouse xxxxx

Julie said...

Deb must be such a wonderful lady to pass on such a treasured piece of crafting kit to yourself. I can only imagine how emotional you were to receive such a very special gift. May it bring you lots of happy hours in your craft.....of which the latest creation is stunning.

butterfly said...

Such a lovely story and your tatting looks great.

Shirlee said...

Oh Gracie, I am so proud of your new-found tatting ability! I said you could do it! I used to love tatting with beads. Your beaded snowflake is beautiful! I am going to have to dig out my shuttles if you keep showing your lovely projects : )