Thursday, July 4, 2013

July 4th Rememberance

Today my post is not about stitching but a personal story. I hope you stay to visit to hear it.
Yes, it is Independence Day in the USA. A day we proudly wave the American Flag, enjoy picnics and fireworks. But each year when this day arrives, I think of a special person, my Aunti Angie. She was mom's older sister. Born April 15 1925... she used to remark she was the tax baby.... and died on July 4th 1974. She was a wonderful aunt to sis Lynowl and me. So many memories. She stayed with us on and off during my growing years. What a lady! Before it was fashionable, she took an automotive class for minor car repairs. She was a rebel in her time. There was the time she took me and Lynowl out with our sled on a snowy day to a store that was closed when we got there...quite a distance I might tell you. When we returned home dad was there and furious with her because unknown to us, it turned out we were having a blizzard! When we told dad that we had such fun, he dropped the subject. She could wrap him around her little finger as they say. Once when I was in middle school, my girlfriend Peggy bought a great handbag. Aunt Angie heard me talking about it and she went and bought me the same bag. There was the night when I was just about 6 years old that Aunt Angie told me that we were going for a ride and I had to keep it a secret or daddy would get very angry with her. It was quite late and we went to the Naval Shipyard so she could wave goodbye to a sailor friend! It wasn't until a few nights before my wedding that we were all together at our house, some 17 years later that I told my dad. He just looked at aunt Angie and shook his head. I could go on and on...she had a baby alligator once, and a squirrel monkey for pets. She was a character.
Wasn't she pretty.... let me tell you about the items in this picture. First I do not know the year of the photo. I do not have but a couple of her, but this is my favorite. Starting at the top center...my gifts from her though the short years we spent together. To the left is a beautiful cameo ring she gave to me when I was in high school. It is hard to see, but it has a 14kt gold chain with a small cut diamond in the center of the necklace. Below that is the pendant watch (back and front view) she gave to me when I started to work... yes it still works and has rubies in the mechanism. Then there is the butterfly pin with cultured pearls. Above that are the earrings she gave me as one of the gifts for my wedding in 1970. Lastly is a handkerchief she tatted.....though she tried many times to teach me, I could not learn. She is smiling down on me now that I finally can tat. One of the hardest memories for me is when my youngest son Eric was born. She came to visit when he was just a few days old. As she held him she told me her cancer had returned and that she had about a year to live. I thought this just can't be and began to cry. She scolded me like you would a child and told me to never let her see me cry again or she would not visit me. What was to be would be she said and I to this day feel that way. To this day I feel everything has a purpose.... we cannot change what is meant to be. She did die the next year. So young....so full of more mischief to get into. That is how I wish to remember her....and do so every 4th of July. Every girl should have an Aunti Angie in their life. I choose to remember all the wonderful adventures I had with her, not the sad part.
Thank you for listening to my story today... I am almost finished with the stitching of The Doll...and want to start another tatted snowflake today. Whatever you plans for this day, hope you have fun... make memories.

16 comments:

Shirlee said...

Gracie, I enjoyed your story very much. Aunti Angie was indeed a beautiful woman & how wonderful that you still have all those gifts she gave you & the memories behind them. She did sound like a fun person! Let your memories comfort you today.

butterfly said...

Lovely story about your aunt very beautiful, you have so many wonderful memories , hugs.

Vickie said...

Gracie I enjoyed this lovely tribute to Aunt Angie. Her hair is so lovely in that picture isn't it.
I will be stitching today. I hope you have a peaceful, good day with Mr. H. =)

Ele said...

Thank you sharing such lovely memories!

Julie said...

Such a heartfelt and lovely post Gracie. No wonder you are loving the tatting so much with the memories of trying to learn it from such a special person. I'm sure she's had a hand in helping you to achieve such spectacular things and of course to bring Deborah into your life to encourage and teach you what she tried to.
much love and you celebrate life on this 4th of July xxx

stitcheranon said...

God I hate cancer: it seems to always take the most amazing people far too early. Your aunt sounds an amazing woman: the kind of woman we would all like to be. It sounds like she lived life to the whole: and that is all we can hope for. I really enjoyed this post...and how wonderful that you can carry on what she started with your tatting.

Shelly said...

She sounds like she was a wonderful woman..you were lucky to have her in your life. I had a grandmother who was quite a person..but in a different way..lets just leave it at that! Beautiful mementos you have of her. Happy 4th to you.

meggie said...

A lovely post. Your Aunt was very beautiful and gave you so many lovely presents and memories.

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories of Angie. Some people just touch your heart and never leave.
Hugs and Happy 4th.

cucki said...

Such a sweet post..thank you for sharing such lovely memories..she is so beautiful.
Big hugs x.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

What a lovely story to share about a special loved one in your life Gracie.

Anthea said...

Hi Gracie
thank you for sharing such lovely times with your Aunt, they are very precious memories and gifts from her.x

Simple Pleasure said...

Good Afternoon Gracie!
You certainly are blessed with wonderful memories of "delicious" Aunt Angie...I trust these memories bring you peace and comfort.
My precious memories are with my Aunt Mickey. As a child, we had a "party line"(a phone line shared by several people)...if no one was on the line, you told the operator the number you wished and were connected. Being a very lonely only child, I clearly remember calling Aunt Mickey NUMEROUS times a day...to my joy she always welcomed the call as if hearing my voice for the very first time. Thankfully, my grandchildren live very close but I greet them with Aunt Mickey's enthusiasm no matter how many times I see them in a day...this my tribute to her.
Busy Hands...Happy Heart
Patricia

Annette-California said...

Your Auntie Angie was soooo much fun! And very beautiful too. Thank you for telling & sharing some great stories of you and her with us. Gorgeous treasures she gave you, but I love the stories and memories of them even more. love Annette

Brigitte said...

A wonderful story which I was enjoying thoroughly.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Such a lovely story about your aunt, it's always nice to hear about the people that have shaped and influenced my friends' lives.

It is a beautiful photograph of her too.