Tuesday, June 4, 2013

2 almosts and a garden

Last night Mr H and I visited the main Glendale Library to listen to a stargazing talk and view Saturn through a telescope. First I do not hate children, but I do wish parents use common sense when attending these talks and leave the little children who have no interest home. The gentleman presenting the talk was interesting as were his slides. Then we were able to go out to look through the telescopes set up. After the show we walked through the garden....
a  pleasant stroll. We will return as they have  it set that you can "listen" to the garden with the interactive recording... like you would in a museum. At the front of the library entrance, there is a memorial to the USS Arizona....
It is amazing. Designed by Joe Tyler, a native of Arizona who still resides here, it is sculpted from bronze, copper, sandstone, steel and concrete.
The trees leaves are individually wired to the trunks....really a beautiful tribute to the men and women from all branches of the service. It was a very warm 104 when we headed home around 8PM.
I did manage to almost finish Violets...
just the ribbons and then the outlines here and there. I really like this piece. At first it was just doing to then mount in the Candle Stand.... now I am glad I did this one. I was thinking that maybe I could use this Candle Stand seasonally... making a few to swap in/out. A thought anyway.
I finished my first Tatted Snowflake Motif... well., it is starched and being blocked....

I have more confidence now... this was using 2... count that...2 shuttles. I can see where I need to improve and also see where I have improved. A nice feeling. Mr H said after they hang on the Christmas tree, we should put them in a frame... not away in a box. I should tell you about the outing with Debra to Mesa and lunch...but I think tomorrow would be better. My stomach is asking for food and the laundry is ready for the dryer and I want to get some stitches in on Violets before going to work today....
So glad you stopped by and thank you for the kind words and emails....you really know how to share hugs and encouragement. Have a great day...

6 comments:

cucki said...

Sound like you had a fun time at library ..sound so nice..
Sweet stitching and tatted snowflake is so cute too..
Big hugs x

Minnie said...

The tatted snowflake is very impressive, it looks so delicate and you are really improving with every new project.

Julie said...

Sounds like a great visit, lucky you. Super snowflake, I agree, it's way too pretty to only keep it out for a short season. Stitching is really pretty.
Hope the results at. he drs are good news x

stitcheranon said...

Love the snowflake: the stitching looks very pretty too. My hubby and I had the same conversation this morning re: children. I loved having my children and was a childminder but now my kids are in their teens I just do not seem to have the same tolerance for toddlers as I once had. And I agree: I would never have taken my children out where they needed to be very quiet for long periods; unfair on them and on the grownups around them lol

Jules said...

Now that would have been a fun talk to listen to and to be able to view Saturn through a scope!! You are lucky!

I miss Arizona (lived in Flagstaff for over 2 years) and the dry heat of the desert.

Love your progress!!

Simple Pleasure said...

Hi Gracie
I've enjoyed watching your progress with tatting; you are fortunate to have such a patient teacher.
I like Mr. H's suggestion to frame the snowflakes...as I thought about it, the idea of using a frame with glass on both sides came to mind...just thought I would share.
Busy Hands...Happy Heart
Patricia