Thursday, February 21, 2013

It was a good day considering......until....

Yesterday began with dark grey skies that gave us rain. The temps had also dropped and it looked like it would rain all day. But not so. It stopped just short of 11 am. Dear Ziz was expected at my door at 11:15. She was treating me to lunch. We had a wonderful casual lunch and chatted as we always do about everything. We are sisters from a different family. When I was safely back at my home, I decided to upload a book from the library on my e-Reader. Why is it the library continually changes their format? Finally got that taken care of so I settled into a comfy chair in the living room where Mr H and watched some TV while I finished my rose. So considering the day started bleak, it was a very nice day after all. The aroma coming from the kitchen was delicious... Mr H was making his wonderful beef stew. It is a recipe we have had for at least 20 years.  Finally it was ready. This is where the Until comes in. I decided that a nice salad would be a nice accompaniment with the garlic bread and stew. Then the awful happened.....and it was because of this....
I know... what does a mandolin have to do with this. Well, I will tell you. Do you have one? Do you have any idea how sharp these things are? Do you know you should always use the guard that comes with it? Do you know where this is going? Let me tell you. I tore the romaine into pieces, lined up my cucumber, celery and radish and took this monster out of the drawer. I thought well, now how about slicing the celery first....... now Mr H was watching and thinking.... but said nothing. He always says something but of course not then. Did I tell you you should always use the guard? Need I say more?  So okay, I did not use the guard and before I knew it, my thumb was where the celery stalk was. That's right I lost a chunk of my thumb...well, okay, only a little chunk but it is a big little chunk of flesh.  Lucky for me, none of the blood went into the bowl.... but several band-aids later and Mr H was wrapping it up like I lost the whole thumb! Let me tell you, I do not like loosing my blood and this is still bleeding...okay, just a bit. Needless to say, it is my right thumb on my stitching hand...hard to stitch with a sore thumb! But I will try today.... now don't you feel bad for me? Mr H said he doesn't because I should have used the guard!
Tea time and then a try at stitching. I tried to do laundry...done, I baked a cake.... just out of the oven....not all my skills are lost! Have a good safe day and follow instructions....

10 comments:

Cindy said...

Good luck with thumbless stitching. Hope the healing is quick and well.

cucki said...

Hope it heal quickly..big hugs x

Terri said...

Ouch! I hope it heals quickly!!

butterfly said...

OH I do hope you can still stitch, hugs.

Dawn said...

OH no! I hope you get better quickly! Sounds like he like my husband, little sympathy when I could have prevented it, but let him do something....LOL, Just get better quickly!

Silverlotus said...

Oh, ouch! They can be very dangerous things, those mandolins. I hope your thumb heals quickly.

Anna van Schurman said...

I had to have hand surgery. We threw ours away. Healing thoughts!

Vickie said...

I cannot tell you how many stories I have heard about those things. Oh Gracie. I prayed for you.♥

Nicola said...

Bless you, it is so easily done.

I hope your thumb heals quickly for you Gracie.

Julie said...

oh dear, hope your thumb is healing well.