Friday, October 5, 2012

A package from Italy and an old book

It is always wonderful when the postman brings something just for me.....

This was from Chiara of the grey tail . She helped co-ordinate the sale of cross stitch patterns by various designer that would benefit the people of the Emilia Romano earthquake area. There are 38 designs and they are lovely. A worthwhile cause to support. Thank you Chiara for your efforts in spreading the word and taking on the task of mailing to all of us. I keep flipping through the pages trying to put them in a stitch order!
I every so often come across a book in my collection. Now we all have these book collections. We may not remember where they came from or why we even have them, but we do. Here is one that I can not remember where, where or how I came by this one. I can tell you that I have had it for at least 30 years!

The illustrations are wonderful. The wording is just ...well let me share this....
"Implements have much to so with success in working, and to keep one's scissors sharp and one's temper vice versa, one's needles pointed and one's tongue still, one's silk out of tangle and one's mind to match, will aid in reaching that which is hoped for." Just to read is wonderful never mind try the designs! Did you notice the publication date? 1889! I guess I will be turning these pages this weekend.
This is of course is the Columbus Day weekend celebration at Jo Ann's .. so yes, we will be busy. Yesterday I stood for 2 hours at the registers and when I finally got home, proceeded to soak my poor toes in a Eucalyptus foot bath. Very relaxing. Have you seen the new designer in blog world.... it is none other than PattyC from Hanging on by a Thread. I just received my copy and dyed some fabric and am ready stitch. Wonderful to be able to support our friends in their new adventures.
Well my friends, time for me to get to my stitching chair...do you have a favorite place to sit and stitch? Glad you took some time to share with me...have a great day.

8 comments:

Nancy said...

Isn't fun to read those books from a by gone century! I downloaded a few cookbooks from the 1800's onto my Kindle and have thoroughly enjoyed them!

cucki said...

aww i love old books so much..my all time love..
have a lovely weekend xxx

Annette-California said...

I got my envelope from Italy to. LOVE all the charts. Oh you have a real treasure - a book from the 1800's wow. Very cool. Thank you for reminding me about JoAnn's sale:) And I'm surprised you received Patti's chart. I thought we had to wait till her Etsy shop opened! I'm going to email her and ask. Thanks for the update.
love Annette

thegreytail said...

my pleasure ;)
that book is impressive Gracie.. wow!!
can't wait to stitch a PattyC myself ;)
her witches look terribly funny!

Brigitte said...

Oh Gracie, that's a wonderful old book you own. And thanks for pointing out Patty C's new designs. I'll go and have a look.

Julie said...

What a beautiful book. Looking forward to seeing your new project.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I got the Italian chart pack too, there are some beautiful designs in there.
The old book looks amazing, I inherited a couple from my Grandad although not 19th century ones. I love looking through them.

rosey175 said...

The old book is so cool. I had found a site that had scanned copies of old needleworking books but silly me didn't save the link.

My favorite place to stitch is curled up in my squishy rocking chair. The poor chair has seen better days and could really use a recovering but it is so comfy!