Thursday, May 23, 2019

Day 2 of the visit....

We had rain last night.... everything is really wet this morning. The irrigation just came on and I heard a lot of water noise. I looked out to the garden and behold there was a fountain shooting into the air! Can not blame Alan for this mishap (more about that later) because when we worked on the system yesterday I adjusted this particular bubbler and obviously had it too open and off the cap shot. After I ran out and got my impromptu shower and found the cap, all is well.
The flight out here was good but they were tired from a long day that stared very early.


The Brother Alan decided that yesterday was going to be garden day. First on the list was to trim the palm tree....nicely done. All of this is a learning experience for him and so far so good.
Then it was time to tackle the Yucca that I wanted removed. I severely cut it back months ago and it came back better than it was and that was not the idea. Too often as I am cleaning the area I got cut from the sharp edges of the plant as it was low to the ground.

Next was to give The Brother a pickaxe... this is where I started to worry.... a dangerous tool to begin with could be more so in his hands! That went really well.... no physical injuries to report. Then we decided to move the very large Rosemary bush to this spot. After we both severely trimmed it down to be manageable, that went in....
right next to the Orange Bells and leaving room for maybe something else. The garden smelled wonderful...like an Italian kitchen. Next irrigation lines needed to be added to the Pond Garden and to a couple of other plants in the area. Once he finished this task we tested the bubblers that were in. Oh no! we had a water break... a small flood began. Once I explained what happened, The Brother dug out the broken bubbler riser and drained the water with the wet vac so he could replace the riser. ( in the photo it is directly in front of the plant shovel) Now, I can not say for sure, but did something happen with that pickaxe?... in fairness, these risers, with the exception of a few are all originals.  Lucky for him I have learned a lot from Don when he helped me install the irrigation lines. I will not talk about the mud bath... it happened when Alan was going to take apart the vac to wash it out. When he removed the hose, mud shot up on him, the umbrella and the glider...lucky for him I was not in range. We won't mention that stepping in almost ankle deep mud would cover his sneakers.... they are outside drying off.
After using up the supplies on hand it was off to Lowes for more. If you are wondering about Lisa during this...she was comfortably sitting supervising before I took her to a hair salon for a couple hours of beauty time. We decided that the Pond Garden would have a fountain and a bed of rocks.... you can see the bags in the lower corner of the photo. We have selected plants to put into this area but it will have to wait until the fountain is assembled later today/tomorrow. Everything is very wet and The Brother Alan is off on unexpected business today. To say that we are enjoying being together is an understatement. He will be gone all day so it is just me and Lisa to relax. I did begin a new beading project but will be taking it apart as I am not liking how it is looking...first time doing this type of pattern. No big deal as it is a learning process. Glad you stopped by and hopefully tomorrow I maybe able to show you a bumble bee and more about our adventures.
Thank you for your kind words and welcome to Alan and Lisa. Thank you for your friendship.

7 comments:

Purple Pixie Dust said...

That was a busy day. glad you are enjoying time with Lisa and Alan. big hugs to you all.

Sandy said...

Oh my....what a time you had. Wanted to pop back and let you know I'm adding you to my blog list also. Fun always to get acquainted with new bloggers. You're so experienced now with the pond, sprinkler etc, maybe you can come fix my yard up, lol.

Vickie said...

Oh my! That is a LOT of work!!

butterfly said...

Happy to see you are having some lovely time with your family.
Hope the Irrigation is working ok now hugs.

Julie said...

You are all busy bees working away.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That was an adventurous start to The Brother Alan's holiday with you! The garden is looking lovely though.

Pittoresque said...

Looks like Alan is already earning his keep (I am sure you're feeding him well). It's so nice to have some time with family!