As m any of you know I commute from Providence (RI) to Boston (MA) daily via a train. To say I am not a morning person is an understatement, and unlike my Sister Grace I don't "chat up" people. My story begins yesterday morning on the 7AM train after commuting for year you see the same people day after day, like I said I keep to myself read my Kindle and drink a coffee. I am polite and will politely acknowledge the people with I sit next to or if someone sits next to me, the train if full every day. Back to yesterday I take an empty seat next to a woman and we acknowledge each other. five minutes out of providence she sneezes, and I say "Bless You", then realizing how many people are sensitive, I said "If that does not offend you" she laughs and thanks me. I settle in with my Kindle and she falls asleep. An hour later we arrive in Boston and as I get up to disembark she turns to me and hands me a lottery ticket and tells me to have a nice day. I look a the ticket and it was for last nights Power ball with a 700 Million Dollar Jackpot. I am stunned and confused, she states to me that she bought ten tickets to give away and that if I won all she asks is for me to buy her dinner. I am humbled at the gesture and thanked her.
I did not win the Power Ball, but the good feeling still resides in me. A small gesture like this which could have been a life changer was so simple for her but impacted me immensely. I do not think that I will be any more outgoing on the train, frankly most people look more unapproachable than myself but will stay with me to make an effort on behalf of others.
I return to my Cowboy Life in September an hopefully will have an adventure or two to share at that time. Knowing my sister there will be, until next time.........Alan
8 comments:
So we have no extra money?! Oh well, we always have a great time and we are not millionaires. I am waiting for the shuttle to arrive......oh, I have to call them.
Awww, bless her heart!
Now that is a neat story Alan. I am looking forward to your visit. :D
Alan that's very touching when you experience kindness in action. A sweet gesture for sure...thanks for sharing and enjoy your visit. I know Gracie treasures time with you 😀
I love that story!
Oh wow, what a great chance that was! Such a sweet thing to do.
What a lovely gesture.
That's a really sweet story, and a nice gesture from both you and her :)
Post a Comment