Monday, June 19, 2017

Keeping busy

Some have asked whether I have been stitching or tatting and the answer is yes. Sitting with Denny and chatting and keeping busy. One thing that will always stay with me is "What are you working on now" so often asked by him to me. While in the hospital I was working on Affirmation Words.....a project that will only be completed when...... The Hospice Center is a quiet place and while we chat and watch favorite TV shows, I ....
stitched this Santa ornament on perforated paper. He needs finally completion which I can only do at home so here is only a partial look. Tatting has also occupied my time...
2 Sun catchers; one with a blue gem and the other with a gold gem and the smaller clear glass gem for an ornament or just to display piece. I plan on giving a few away as mementos of Denny. I began  another tatting project yesterday...
Angels .... today I will complete them with the bottom trim and halos. If you follow me on Facebook you will already know this....on Saturday I sent an SOS out to Don and Glenda (friends of the heart) to help me with the 3 line gas rule....that is right, the gas that The Brother Alan put in did not last until he will return this Spring...so, what to do? As I pulled into the parking lot of the Hospice center there is a Fry's gas station...I was feeling brave so I pulled in after circling once to find just the right pump. Then I stood there watching the guy across the way and the lady next to me...I remembered to open the gas cover and then after a brief struggle with the gas cap...(who designed a push and twist cap !?) turned my attention the pump. everything push button and after the last yes was tapped I lifted the handle, inserted into the car and nothing...right, squeeze the handle and Voila! gas . So at the age of 70 I have for the first time pumped gas....not sure about wanting to do this often but as Glenda pointed out I will probably only need to do this once a month or so ( I do not drive much) . Of course I bragged to Denny when I sat there ... not sure how impressed he was but the nurse was! My Denny is still slowly failing, and still not verbal nor does he open his eyes..... but we watch the cooking shows and the PBS programs and since he can not complain I sneak in a few that he is not fond of.  I sit and miss the man who's smile always melted me and his dry sense of humor and his holding my hand. Now I hold his hand and try to explain my time away from him. I know he would be glad that I have so far conquered the pond fiasco and the aquarium mishap and yes the gas pump. I tell him I love him and wish I could hear the return "I love you too". 

15 comments:

averyclaire.org said...

Oh Gracie...the silence must be difficult.You are a marvelously strong and special person! Hugs!

Janice said...

The silence can be deafening but I'm sure he hears your conversation so continue to chat with him as you do. and although he can't respond....you know what his responses would be....his love for you is just as strong although he can't convey that to you right now..it's understood ..I'm proud of you and all that you've had to do not by choice...but you are getting it done...

Lynda Ruth Bowers said...

I am sending you love and big hugs. he knows you are there and if he could he would say he loves you back, but you know that he does. Enjoy your time with him and good for you on pumping gas. hugs

CalamityJr said...

Hugs and prayers to you both. You're doing so well, learning new things and sharing with Mr. H. Keep on keeping on, Gracie dear.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

You'll amaze yourself with the things you can do Grace, you are so strong. I filled my car up with petrol recently for the first time in years when my hubby was in having major surgery. Take care.

Debbie said...

Gracie, your tatting and stitching pieces are beautiful!

And he loves you too.

take care

Vicki said...

I'm so proud of you, Gracie! Not only for pumping gas, but for your depth of strength. I'm positive Denny can hear you talking and is celebrating your successes. Continuing to pray...

Rose Marie Della Ventura said...

Good job Gracie!! I'm sure Denny hears you and is telling you he loves you too. Such a difficult situation to deal with. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily.

AC said...

Denny hears every word you say, keep telling him how much you love him ������

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

He can definitely hear you, hearing is the sense that lasts the longest. Even people in a coma can hear their friends and relatives talking around them. So do keep bending Mr H's ears with your chat!

Well done on the gas and the beautiful tatting. I am sure it's very good for keeping your hands and mind occupied.

Vickie said...

Beautiful work Gracie.
Dennis is very glad to have you by his side of course. I am sure he IS impressed with your gas pumping! I am. I have not done it in many, many years.
God bless you both. You are in my prayers. ♥

Chookyblue...... said...

I still can't believe after all these years you had never got gas...... Yesterday for a change I had my boy with me and he did the fuel I just had to pay......
Keep stitching of some sort......
Hugs......

Tiffstitch said...

Congratulations on pumping gas yourself, you did it! He knows you're there and hears you.

Julie said...

Well done on completing these tasks. Keep chatting and tatting those angels, they are so beautiful and will be full of love for the dearest of people who you gift them to.
xx

shirley flavell said...

Good girl Gracie. My DH gets the petrol all the time here in this household as well. I have NEVER done the petrol myself, I keep saying I must do it but as of yet have not done it. Love your Tatting.