Sunday, June 11, 2017

It's Just one Breath

As I finish packing to return home this morning, I would like to reflect on something

A breath...

A human breaths
16 / minute
960 / hour
23,040 / day
8,409,600 / year

Grace and I have accomplished quite a bit this week, as I prepare to leave I reflect, everything done was already thought through, I accompanied her several places, but mostly kept her company. Remarkable strength for someone who is facing death, loss of a spouse and best friend.

Many believe she was incapable because Dennis did so much for her, but we all fail to realize what she has done for Dennis for 47 years.

Sure we chuckled at her posts about not pumping gas, of not cooking much, Denny this Denny that, what she did not post was her contribution to this institution of marriage, friendship and partnership.

We laughed a bit, kept comfortable silence as we visited but most importantly we waited.

So as I pack and await my ride to the airport, I came to Arizona to wait for one breath, Dennis Horton's last.

He has not taken it yet, so now I will wait for a phone call of Dennis's last breath.

Thanks for stopping by.... until I return

Alan

11 comments:

Rose Marie Della Ventura said...

Alan, you are a wonderful and supportive brother. I'm sure it meant the world to Gracie to have you there. Safe travels.

Vickie said...

Godspeed Alan.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Thinking of you all.

Simple Pleasure said...

Safe journey...blessings for being there for Gracie and Dennis; not just now, but always...
Patricia

Debbie said...

Safe travels to you.

Thank you for being the brother Alan.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

You've been such a great source of support for Gracie and Dennis too. Have a safe journey home.

Julie said...

I have a brother like you and I can vouch for the wonderful feeling that gives a girl.
Safe journey.

Janice said...

Thanks for keeping us up to date Alan and for all the support and love you have shown to your sister. Until next time....

Mouse said...

Its never a good time ... been through the same situation with my dad the other year .. sending (((hugs))) to you all xxx love mouse xxxxx

cucki said...

Thinking of you all x

Tiffstitch said...

So glad you could be there to help Gracie through the transition. Everyone needs a brother like you.