Friday, May 12, 2017

From Commuter to Cowboy

There are times when you need to let go. Easier said then done, but let me share....

I am fortunate to have a good job, which takes me into Boston every day, the traffic is indescribable on some days but that was rectified by taking the train. Not glamorous but easier on the mind, an hour and forty five minute commute on a good day (2 plus on others) is replaced with a one hour train ride. Obscene drivers replaced by sleepy commuters, some of which are on laptops working. Me I read or listen to a book on tape.

But travel  2587 Miles or 4163 Km and I am a Cowboy, transformed from suit and tie to jeans with a Stetson hat and all, from alert and looking for what might go wrong to looking around and enjoying scenery, as you will see from the picture.


We went on a 3.5 hour trail ride yesterday into Tonto National Park, second largest National Park in the USA (Denali in Alaska is larger) outstanding views and a calmness of being on the back of "Woody" my steed. The views and quietness of it all was overwhelming at first but it soon became therapy. Woody is a Palomino, conveyor of people, therapist, sure footed as you will see in the next picture and protector. He patiently took me where I wanted to go kept alert sometimes stopping to identify a movement or noise. The park is full of wildlife such as Mule Deer, Bobcat, Javelinas and a Mountain Lion who lives right above his ranch in an auspicious rock summit. It is a female whom can be seen at times taking the sun looking down to the people who traverse her domain.

Yes I am slightly sore today but it is not enough to complain, like I mentioned I am a Cowboy out here. Peaceful day with a Wrangler for a guide (didn't want to get lost like a commuter) and Lisa who is happiest in a saddle.

To become this Cowboy you need to look at things differently, patiently and with caring. I have found the Wranglers (as they are called) enjoy the company of the horses, even the large Wrangler named Paul who was our guide continually spoke to his horse as if a child, a naughty one his mount was described to us by him as a "Knuckle Head" at times with a stubbornness. But with Paul's gentle but firm control he led us though and back.

The ride concluded physically only, because I can reflect on it at anytime feeling the warmth see the cacti and hear the stillness of yourself with a magnificent creature. Every bend introduced me to a yet different view, when you turn around the view you looked at is different, just like it is a different perspective. That this Cowboy will take back when I once again become a commuter.

As you know by now, this is poste by The Brother Alan. And before you ask, no, I did not take the ride this year...3.5 hours is a bit long for me...I can only handle 1.5 hour rides and not too sure about that anymore. Alan is now a co-administrator here so occasionally you may hear from him from way out in Boston. I am so enjoying having this guy and gal here if only for a week. More to come....

8 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a wonderful way to relax and unwind. I wonder how long the commute would take on horseback?
I used to love my train journey into work. I stitched and chatted with my fellow regulars. I'm still in touch with some of them 14 years later!

Vickie said...

What beautiful pictures. Woody is gorgeous.

Tiffstitch said...

Beautiful description and photos. Hope you get a chance to ride while you're out west. (from a Vermonter)

Shelly said...

I enjoyed your brother's writing. Was hoping he and Lisa were going to come up this way to Prescott but there are other vacations. Great pictures. He and Lisa look quite at home on a horse though!

butterfly said...


Lovely photos , wonderful way to relax.
Hope you all have a lovely week hugs.

Rose Marie Della Ventura said...

Beautiful narrative Gracie!! Looks like they had a wonderful ride. My bum is sore for them. Wish I had had the chance to know him. 😞

Julie said...

A great outdoor adventure, looks like fun.

Leonore Winterer said...

What a great adventure in a lovely landscape...I now want to go as well!