Saturday, May 13, 2017

From Cowboy to Arizona Adventurer

Over the years I have been fortunate to see much wildlife here in Arizona, sightings include Javelina, Jack Rabbit, Roadrunners, rabbits (the little guys), burros, countless birds, lizards and a Mountain Lion, probably a few I just can not remember.

Last night was a treat, coming back from a refreshing Prickly Pear Margarita, we were pulling down the street a little past 10pm, when at the end of the cul du sac a coyote runs out carrying what appeared to be a rabbit in it's mouth followed by two others. Fortunately my camera was still in the car, so I changed from Cowboy to Naturalist Photographer or (Arizona Adventurer). Well to continue, its dark they are moving all over the place and my camera is beeping (telling me that it can not see in the dark), so I change the settings to tell it just take a picture and began the round up. Notice I am not in cowboy mode, this is due to the fact I am not on the back of a horse but in  relatively red sporty sedan. Grace's streets are wide, ends in a cull de sac so here I am one hand on the reins (wheel) one on a camera. Remember I am in a very nice private community so there is no traffic or anyone to witness my heroic adventure, except Lisa. So at the incredible speed of maybe 5 miles per hour.

This is the entrance to Grace's front door, notice the glowing eye to the left, he is outside the guest bedroom


To relate the story in its entirety would be boring but I managed to wrangled these guys until I was able to take pictures. If I were a tourist this might have gone differently, by being a part time Cowboy and Arizona Adventurer I remained in the car to take pictures. This was due to the real cowboy from my horse back rides Paul, while giving us information something he said was in my mind at this moment. Paul stated "Those are City Coyotes, they will run up and grab your dog off the leash". The last thing I wanted these guys to think that the black object in my hand to be a small dog and eat my camera.

The weather today will be sunny and hot, Lisa and I are heading to the pool to relax and contemplate our next adventure.
NOTE: as you can see, The Brother Alan and Lisa are really enjoying themselves. And yes, at 11 PM when he came in from the round-up, I had to get up to see the downloaded pictures! Thank you for welcoming Alan to our blogging world. I have been trying to add him as a co-author, but blogger is not cooperating yet. So from all of us here at Horton House, thank you for your kind words and friendship.

8 comments:

cucki said...

Sending you big hugs and love.
Kind regards to your brother.
Smiles and blessings x

Vickie said...

Cool pictures Alan!

shirley flavell said...

Great reading Gracie, you sound like you are really loving having your brother and his partner staying.I'm sure you are spoiling them. Have to go and look on the map to see where Boston is, then Arizona to appreciate distances travelled. Our country is so small and think a 6-7 hour journey is rather a long trip!!I look forward to your next entry, best wishes.

Shelly said...

Pretty good pictures and sitting poolside plotting the next adventure sounds great to me! How about visiting the Desert Botanical Gardens out by Scottsdale? Being horseback out in the desert, one can see cacti and such in it's natural habitat but I hear the Gardens are super nice. Enjoying the posts, Gracie.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a fun adventure!
To add him as a co-author he needs to accept the email invitation sent by Blogger after you add him via the dashboard for the blog.

Julie said...

I would have been running in the opposite direction, hiding!
Great pic you captured though.

Leonore Winterer said...

What an adventure! I think I would have been scared out of my pants, but then we are not used to wild animals roaming the streets around here.

Chookyblue...... said...

Even more coyotes for sighting.......