Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Winter Solstice

Today is the first day of winter....but as I am in Arizona, I only see/feel little change in the weather and temperatures. Not to get technical with the tilt of the Earth and the rotation and stuff, we will leave it that the shortest amount of daylight and the longest darkness of night occurs today.
The only snowflakes falling at my house are these  crocheted flakes that will never melt! Snow will fall in the High Country to the North and a few places around but now here in The Valley of the Sun...although it may drizzle a little today. This is a good thing as I do not own any, not any winter clothing. No indeed. I left all that back in Rhode Island where there is cold and will eventually be lots of snow. I prefer to live barefoot and warm. The air conditioner is finally off in the house but I did use it in the car the other day. I had to remind myself that Christmas is this Sunday! Maybe it is an age thing (and we do not want to talk about my soon to be birthday) that time slips away more quickly. That I have notes for myself and Mr H all over the place and still can forget what it is I need to remember.
So the only snow that I want is this flake, not referring to Mr Snowman! I will admire the pictures that are posted and oh and ahh, I will giggle at the fun others are having. The memories I hold of wonderful times as a child playing and building snowmen will always warm my heart. Remembering the day Aunti Angie took sis Lynowl and me out for a walk not knowing we were starting to have a blizzard, the times we went sledding and school cancellation meant a play day.
This picture was taken of me and sis in February 1952 ( I am on the right). So fashionable then with coat and leggings and our fur hats and muffs. I was 5 years old and sis was 3. The Brother Alan was not even a thought at this time! But I would not want to leave him out so....
I took this picture the winter of 1960 when he was about 3 years old...again, wearing leggings, matching coat and hat. Look at the snow behind him...I treasure my old photos. This reminiscing is holding up my morning. Must get the laundry in and some coffee and maybe a bagel and of course organize my stitching day. I enjoy sharing my memories with you. Thank you for the kind words and your friendship....have a wonderful day.

9 comments:

Vickie said...

Those snowflakes are just gorgeous Gracie!
Look at you three!! I could just pinch your little cheeks! ;)

Janice said...

Agree....I love reminiscing...and looking at my old pictures. Life was good....still is but growing up without a care in the world....playing out in the snow were the days I treasure. Thanks for sharing :)

Sally said...

Love old photos and yours are no exception. Such happy memories for you.

Your snowflakes are beautiful. I'm longing for some real ones. Fingers crossed for this Winter!

Merry Christmas.

Lynda Ruth Bowers said...

Lovely old photo's, love your snowflakes. have a merry christmas big hugs

Bea said...

We've had one round of snow - rain has just washed it all away. Love your snowflakes, enjoy them. Old photos are a blessing, probably because of the memories they trigger.

shirley flavell said...

Dear Gracie, I want to wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year.Your snowflakes are lovely.Hugs Shirley N.Z.

diamondc said...

Merry Christmas Gracie: I love the adorable photos of you and your siblings so sweet, yes we do have snow what else we live in the frozen tundra Minnesota, I love snow when it is falling but not after.
When I was growing up we never had a snow day I was so jealous of the kids that did have snow days.
Love your crochet snowflakes.

merry Christmas
Catherine

Brigitte said...

Oh no, winter is not my hing either but I live in a mountain region, so snow is a certain thing every winter.
These crocheted snowflakes are so sweet - and the only ones at your place. Lucky you!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely snowflakes but I agree, the real stuff is best left in memories!