Sunday, December 18, 2016

A Christmas gift

I love making and giving gifts. For me, I do not get to see the person receiving and opening most of the time because I send them via mail. I have a niece in Rhode Island who's daughter loves Alice in Wonderland as much as I do. So when I posted that I bought the beautiful pattern to stitch, the nieces ( both mom and daughter) commented. That is how I learned that Olivia loves Alice.  I knew that I would never be able to make the full pattern before Christmas and I never stitch a big piece more than once anyway, so I had to think about this. Yesterday Livi received
my version for her, mounted on board and with a special stop watch attached. I have had the paperback book forever and it sits with a few of my other collectible books. Livi's mom Julie tells me that she was very happy to unwrap this.
Instead of stitching Alice's hair ribbon I added a real ribbon. It gives a bit of shimmer to her don't you think. This was a delight to stitch and I am so looking forward to stating the full project for myself.

I found just the right picture to put inside the pocket watch.  The same hair ribbon is used to attach it to the picture. I love the braided trim that is framing the piece.
The Quaker motif is just perfect for her skirt. Yes, this was a delight to stitch and the young lady who now has it is a delight also. She is always so respectful towards me and Mr H. On December 12th she celebrated her 19th birthday

isn't she pretty?! Livi is such a respectful young lady to me and always has a response to my comments. You see, she is in Rhode Island and I am here in Arizona so we keep in touch via Facebook. It was my heartfelt pleasure to make this for Olivia.
Speaking of birthdays, Mr H (Dennis) sends his thank you to all of your for the good wishes. Thank you all for the kind words and your friendship. Glad you took the time to visit with me. Have a great day.

12 comments:

Janice said...

It really is a stunning piece. I love her pose but especially love her skirt. You're so very thoughtful and talented and I'm sure she will treasure this for years to come. Happy Birthday Olivia :)

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

That's a lovely story, and a wonderful gift! Just think of all the memories that have been created through this beautiful gift, perfect for this time of year!

faith76 said...

What beautiful stitching. Alice in wonderland is such a classic xx

Tiffstitch said...

Gorgeous work! A lovely piece for her and so good that she keeps in touch with you.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I love your adaptation of this design, the pocket watch frame is just perfect!
I've added this chart to my wish list seeing this part stitched up.

Kaisievic said...

Oh, Gracie, this is is so very pretty. I am stitching this design, too but I love, love, love how you have stitched it for your niece. I am sure that she loved her very special gift from you.

Vickie said...

How very lovely for your lovely niece. ♥

Julie said...

Such a special and wonderful gift, you did a superb job making the alterations and adding such special effects.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

A lovely gift Grace, so much thought and special little touches.

Bea said...

A beautiful gift and how nice to know it will be loved and appreciated.

Astrids dragon said...

What a treasure for her to keep always, she looks lovely!

corinna oliver said...

wow, very pretty
nice colors and design