Friday, December 23, 2016

A dreary day

Yesterday and today have been very dreary, not like our usual warm and sunny Arizona days. I guess for me it is also due the fact that I am not feeling very cheery. This past week my mom EvaP has been in hospital and will now be going to a rehab center. Not what she would want, but her health calls for this decision that The Brother Alan and sis Lynowl have had to make. If I were there I would be making the same decision. Life is such. Yesterday I spent the morning with needlework friends; some knitting, some crocheting others doing something with a needle in hand. We meet every Thursday morning. My neighbor and friend Sue suggested a few months back that I join the group and so happy that I did. Not only have I met some lovely ladies, but Sue and I are becoming very good friends and that is a good thing. I came home just as the postman was bringing mail and what arrived...
this cheered me up! Remember the Manger Herbs? Well I took a chance and contacted the name on the back of my very old tag and she emailed me that she long ago closed her shop. Then Betsy Williams emailed me to say she found a packet! This was so meant to be...I needed this cheering up and she was going to send it and so it arrived. I then visited her web site and what did I find...she is the person who wrote a book that has been on my to get list for so long. This is so meant to be. Betsey enclosed a note that says, "Thank you for the gift of joy you gave me. I am so happy you have kept the Christmas Herbs in your life all these years!"...the joy I gave her?, no the joy she gave to me. So, here I sit concerned about my mom, it is a cloudy dreary day but I have the love of my friend Sue and the kindness of a new friend Betsy to cheer me. I value friendship and so I will..... Thank you for your friendship and kind words. Have a cheerful day.

12 comments:

Shelly said...

Funny how little things happen to cheer us up, and like you, the Manger Herb packet was meant to be. I really believe in that. I'm sorry to read about your mother. Decisions like that are never easy even on a bright, sunny day. I've been through that. Sounds like the weather is going to become even gloomier in the next few days and those of us here in the mountains may have our white Christmas! So Gracie, I wish you and Mr. H a most wonderful Christmas with the joy of new found friends, the love and support of best friend Sue, and the knowledge that your mother is in good hands!

Janice said...

Gracie I will call you soon.....
I love you ♡

Heritage Hall said...

He knows just when to send Angels to our side......so glad your day
brought you happy moments with them....

butterfly said...


Hi gracie , never easy to have a family member go into a home , but sometimes it's for the best .
But very sad too.
Keep warm thoughts in your heart , and you will feel better .
Wishing you a lovely Christmas hugs June.

Vickie said...

Gracie I am sorry your mom is not doing so very well right now. She is in my prayers. I am so glad for the special, little things to brighten your day. Merry, Blessed Christmas to you both!

Karyn said...

Gracie...I am sending loving thoughts to comfort you and your siblings during this time of decision making. it is hard to be an adult child who is finding the roles reversing, even from far away.
Sue sounds like a wonderful friend, and you are so lucky to have a stitching group, I for one am rather envious, but happy for you.
What a neat story about The Manger Herbs...totally heaven sent and meant to be, and the bonus of a new friend.
Take care and stitch on, dear friend.
Hugs

diamondc said...

Gracie: I am so sorry about your Mother, some things just seem to happen at the wrong times of the year, I am happy she is going to rehab, the best thing for her I am sure.
I love the fact you were cheered up by the Manger Herbs, how lucky can you be what a beautiful happening.
Sue sounds like a dear friend.

Merry Christmas
Catherine

Ele said...

so sorry about your mum
take care

Bea said...

Those are some of the toughest decisions that you ever make. I remember it so clearly. And the realisation that there is still joy and brightness. I'm so glad you found some.

Merry Christmas!

Brigitte said...

Yes, it was meant to be, Gracie. So good to know that not only sorrow fills your heart but also the great feelings of friendship.

stitchersanon said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum but I know with your love, she will be in the best of care.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I am sure that your siblings have found a wonderful place for your Mum to be well looked after.
You definitely had a serendipitous find with the manger herbs! I love it when life works out like that.