Sunday, May 1, 2016

Storm, birds and cucumbers and May

April showers ...April certainly went away with a rain storm....and today
we have a very cloudy start to the day. I do think the sun will pop out soon. We had been out yesterday and on our way home when the lightening and rain started and then the thunder....when Arizona has a storm it really goes all out. We certainly need all the rain we can get. Not sure what the skies hold for us today, but it is definitely cooler right now. This seems to be a good day to get some finishing done. How about an update on Mr & Mrs Dove.
It is amazing how birds tend to their nests. Every day the male sits in the nest and as evening approaches the female takes her position and he is off. Briefly yesterday there was no one guarding the nest so Mr H got a chance to check and there are twins! I have not seen the morning switch only the nighttime.
  Recently we have a Raven who has taken to our Ficus tree...
He is very loud and chatty. There were 2 of them in a courtship in the courtyard the other morning so maybe they too want to start a family here! Just what we need....they can lay up to 7 eggs! We seem to be attracting all of them this year.
May SAL is complete and on display. I am enjoying these monthly designs. The spacing of the releases (the 10th day of the month before) are just right. Someone from the group posted her finish in a great frame set up from Ikea...I think I would like to find it. We do have an Ikea  but I may just go on-line instead. It is a flip system and has 12 frames.
Look what I found this morning
I gently lifted the cucumber vine and there are a couple already growing. Okay, I know it is just about there. There are 4 vines so I do hope we find more. Everything in our garden is growing so well this year. Mr H is very pleased. Once the summer heat starts it will be a different story. I think one of the reasons the plants do well is that Mr H draws off some of the pond water when he cleans it and then uses that to water the plants. All that fish stuff is great fertilizer. I guess that about covers it. So glad you could spend some time with me....thank you for your friendship and kind words. Have a wonderful day.

8 comments:

butterfly said...

Love the SAL and nice frame .
Oh those sweet birds just wonderful.
Hope your sun pops out soon, we are dull today and cold.

Tiffstitch said...

Great finish and frame. I'm going to have to check that frame from Ikea out as well, sounds ideal! Glad to know the doves have hatched and seem to be doing well.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

It's a regular Bird Watch at your house this year.
May looks lovely, I am really enjoying everyone stitching this series.

Vickie said...


Twins! Oh what noise all those crows would make!!! Um, no thanks.
That is a neat frame. Your kitties are great!

KimM said...

What a lovely SAL finish! I seem to be far, far behind on this ....hopefully I can catch up.
Hugs
xxx

Dotty's Daughter said...

A lovely post Gracie. Maria xx

shirley flavell said...

Enjoyed reading your post Gracie. An enjoyable time watching your birds. We are having quite an Indian Summer at the moment in N.Z. but think it may change pretty soon.

Minnie said...

I'm so glad your little birds are still doing great, I only stitched the January of the SAL but I'm collecting the rest for a late date. Your frame is lovely. Once you see one cucumber it's on, you'll have more than you'll know what to do with.