Tuesday, May 3, 2016

A rag doll

This April 26th was my niece Natalia Rose's 2nd birthday...

she belongs to The Brother Alan's daughter Elyssa. Although I have not met this little angel, I feel as if I know her by the pictures Elyssa posts. I decided to make her  this
a rag doll that I first made many years ago (still with me). This is a fun doll who can be handled roughly and survive. I chose lavender floral print (Natalia wears lots of purples) for her jumpsuit, and dark brown cotton for her hair. I embroidered down the front and around the sleeves and ankle with pink. If one day the doll is undressed, they will find that I signed the doll's butt with our names and drew a heart on the doll's chest. I hope Natalia enjoys playing with her. My shawl is almost to the length I want....I have enjoyed working on it daily.  Oh, yesterday while Mrs Dove was out and about we took a peek at the twins...
They did not seem to like us looking into the nest! Every so often they pop their heads up. The parents seem to leave them for a time now, but not for too long. They still take shifts sitting in the nest. Yesterday Mr H finished painting the orange tree trunks...a special paint;

this is done every Spring to prevent the trunks from getting to much heat in the summer. This year all the trees were topped and look strange, but it won't take too long before there are full again. Unfortunately, these are ornamental orange trees so they are not good for eating. Today is already starting off warmer than yesterday with expectations of reaching in the 90's today. Now that the temps will begin to rise earlier, Mr H had given me the task of going out and watering the garden pots early. It is almost 9 am and I have not done so....guess I best get out there. So nice to chat with you as always thank you for your friendship and kind words. Have a wonderful day.

7 comments:

Vickie said...

Natalia is a beautiful child. Her doll is so pretty too. I never knew this about ornamental orange trees.

Julie said...

Natalia is a very pretty young lady, she is going to love her new friend.

Tiffstitch said...

A beautiful doll for a beautiful little girl, and glad all is well with you both and the doves.

Bea said...

Natalia is a lovely little girl and the rag doll will be a wonderful playmate.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a lovely photo of your Grand-niece and a great present for her too.

I have never heard of painting the trees to protect them either! I had to check it wasn't 1st April instead of the beginning of May!

KimM said...

What a sweet doll for a sweet little girl. She's adorable - (both the doll and grandniece).
xxx

shirley flavell said...

Beautiful great niece and beautiful doll. She will love it.We are having quite an extended Indian Summer here in N.Z. The trees are changing colour and look really beautiful and it is still quite warm.