Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Good news....not so good, maybe

Thank you my friends for the nice comments yesterday. After writing the post about the Finch nest, we kept an eye out...distantly of course. Finally I heard the familiar chatter of the Finch! But, I only heard one not the usual two exchanging chatter. From inside the garage looking into the backyard I can see the nest and the rest of the yard. There was the male House Finch calling out to the babies and I could see heads popping up. When he approached them they chattered back to him. No female around and the male came to feed the babies. We felt relieved! They had several visits from the dad but no momma. She stayed with them when she was here but he goes off. They do have feathers and very long legs.... so I guess they are going to be okay. The Dove nest is still being monitored by the momma who hardly leaves. How silly I was to be so concerned. These are not the first nests we have had and they will not be the last so I guess we had better try to remain neutral....I do not think we can. My plans today are to stitch and knit...bet you are surprised. The May SAL.....
has lovely colors. I am glad I decided to join in. If you are not familiar, check out Snowflower Diaries to read about it.
 I think I may start the cross stitch that I kitted up.

I like to have a variety of choices to work on.  I have had the booklet for these little purses for quite a long time but never made any.  Everything is at the ready in my basket so today will be a start day. Have you seen the newest DMC release ? It is called Coloris and there are 24 variegated threads. I have not seen them in the local places but they can be bought on line for $39.00 for the set and some small patterns are included. If anyone orders them let us know how they are. I am going to try not to send for them.  Well as always it is so nice that you stopped by. I thank you for your friendship and kind words. Enjoy your day.

9 comments:

Vickie said...

So glad the chicks are alive and being taken care of.
You have a nice start there on the SAL.

Ninetta said...

Pretty start for your SAL. I only bought one, dmc #4509, it is their usual very good high quality thread.

Vicki said...

Your May SAL is lovely - I'm eager to see the finished product. I'm enjoying your adventures with the Finches. Over here in Surprise we are inundated with Quail. They pace back and forth on our block wall and call out to each other. I haven't seen any babies yet, but the couples are roaming all over our neighborhood and the green belt that runs behind our house.

Lelia said...

awww, so glad to read your update!
We have bird feeders in our yard, if there are nests, they are not close by. Hope our snow flurry stuff is over. It is sunny and 45 degrees - not sure of wind chill - seems nippy chilly to me.

Been putting together 'stuff' for IOLI Convention raffle. GF sent some crochet items, too. Not ready to blog or photo (yet). Want everyone surprised when they arrive in Indianapolis (July).

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Glad to hear that daddy finch is still around for the babies.

Lovely start on the Snowflower Diary design this month.

I have seen the Coloris threads in a FlossTube video, they look lovely. SewandSo are selling them for £1 each.

Shelly said...

Aww, so glad the Finches are okay. I got the DMC email about the new threads but I'm quite happy with their variegated floss they have been selling for a while. I thought of joining that SAL back when it first came out but thought Nah! I have plenty of WIPs as it is!

Brigitte said...

So nice that you saw the little finches and that they seem to be OK. Over here the birds are just collecting material to build their nests. I see them flying around with moss and grass in their beaks but haven't seen a spot where they build a nest.

Vonna, The Twisted Stitcher said...

Well I am glad Papa is still keeping his eye on them! I saw the Coloris and I thought oh no there goes my dollars out the window ;)

Tiffstitch said...

So glad to hear the little finches are likely going to be okay. So scary. I would feel the same way, I don't think I can help but get involved in those situations. I hope you see Mama Finch again soon too.