Thursday, April 14, 2016

Blooming cactus


Mr H was so excited to see this cactus bloom!~ This is the first time in 2 years...... worth the wait for sure. So far the garden is looking bright and so cheerful.... until the triple digit days arrive. Even my small herb garden is thriving. Speaking of thriving...
I know this is not a great picture, but the dad has been here twice already for feeding.I suspect because they are growing quickly. So as not to cause them stress, we are keeping our distance and this was taken through the screen door from the garage. Oh how the chat to one another when he appears to feed them.  . Yesterday one of them was flexing it's wings! Mr H thinks they will be gone by next week. Sadly the Mom had not returned. Happy that the dad is taking good care of them. The Dove nest is quiet. The momma never leaves them that we can see....but the other day she did...
and I captured her eggs...just 2. I never see if the male stops by. She quietly lays in the nest all  day/night. I think next week will be hatching time. This garden nursery yard has been very busy this year, two nests at once! Happily the Quails have not moved in.

This is the new part-time project that I started. The colors are really pretty. Stitching on 28ct linen and using the listed DMC threads. Something fun to stitch. The May SAL is almost finished.  Three projects going here....I like keeping busy! I guess that about covers it. Glad you could spend some time with me. Thank you for your wonderful friendship and kind words.....have a wonderful day.

9 comments:

butterfly said...


So happy the birds are ok .
Lovely Cactus flowers just beautiful.
Nice stitching start.

Tiffstitch said...

So glad Papa finch stepped up to feed his young and that they may be ready to move out soon. Not that it's not nice to have them, but it does mean you're tiptoeing around. Fingers crossed it goes well with the baby doves too!

Lovely new project, very delicate-looking.

Lynda Ruth Bowers said...

I guess if the female is not around that means she got taken by something, no mother would leave her babies and I am glad dad is feeding the little ones. Doves too. You are lucky to have the birds nest in your cactus. hugs Lynda Ruth

Vickie said...

What lovely flowers on that cactus. My SAL is sloooow going.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Pretty new start.

I am pleased that the father bird is still feeding the babies too.

Bea said...

The cactus flowers are lovely. Glad to hear both nests seem to be thriving.

diamondc said...

Hi Gracie: I love watching the birds wait on their babies, we have nest all over our yard, I like to sit out and watch the activity, its good I do there is a hawk that tries to take the babies, I can tell when it is around the birds go nuts and fly in the area of the hawk, I just cough and it flies away.
I like the stitch start the colors are lovely.

Blessings
Catherine

Annette-California said...

Cactus flowers are lovely! I know the feeling to celebrate when something finally blooms - WOOHOO! Happy for Mr. H!
You saved the eggs! Hope all the birds are happy and thriving!
love Annette

Brigitte said...

When you wrote that you have not seen the female finch again I was sad but so great to know that the dad finch cares for the nestlings.
Great flowers on your cactus.