Monday, December 7, 2015

Day of Infamy

On the morning of December 7, 1941 my dad was just coming off guard duty 8 AM Hawaiian time, He was just 22 and remembered looking up to see the Japanese planes coming over Fort Shafter. He ran for cover under bushes until he was able to run to get his gun out of lock up. The initial attack last around 90 minutes but it was a day to change many lives..... 2,403 Americans died  and 1178 were wounded that day.
In this photo you can see a copy of the news paper coverage. The inset of a newspaper is an article that a local paper ran about my dad and a snapshot of him as he was then. The map shows the location of Oahu in the Hawaiian chain. Now living in Arizona, I also remember those aboard the USS Arizona which sank with many of it's crew aboard. For me, the story of this event is as fresh as it was on the day so long ago that my dad and I talked about it. The story of how he enlisted, the time of the event and the years that he spent in Hawaii. In those days news from the "front" was slow to reach the states. My dad's family had a hard time at first learning whether my dad (Army) and my uncle John, dad's brother (Navy) were okay. Grandma Piccirilli told me once that when knew that her boys would be come home she cried for those who would not. Still today we are not really at peace in the world. Thank you for stopping by and reading my thoughts on this which has always been dear to me. Have a good day.

8 comments:

Tiffstitch said...

Thanks for telling us about your father and connection to today. Hope Mr. H takes it easy on you today too.

Julie said...

Blessings to you, thank you for sharing your story today. xxx

Vickie said...

I thought of you today! I remembered about your father. I made your picture bigger and read what I could of the article. So very interesting.I hope you two have a good evening.

Vicki said...

What a great post!

shirley flavell said...

Thank you for your story Gracie.

Fiore said...

That story touched me, Gracie. I can see your Grandma Piccirilli crying for all those young unlucky men. I can't not to think that today there are parents who prefer kill and dye than remember they have a six months child at home.
Ciao

butterfly said...

Thanks for sharing your story gracie , it must have been so hard for the families in the war , hugs.

Vonna, The Twisted Stitcher said...

Oh my word Gracie...such memories that your father shared with you. I'm with your Grandma, I'd have cried too for both the safety of my sons, but the loss of the ones not as lucky. A day to live in infamy. . .
Thank you for sharing your Dad's story with us!