Thursday, December 17, 2015

Chestnuts found!

There are certain foods that I can not find here in Arizona that I really miss Rhode Island for. One is chestnuts when in season. Some years they are here and affordable some not. This year my dear cousin Janice sent me some ...but I needed more. We did find them but even the grocery store had to toss out their supply after we bought some and they were all moldy inside. Then I found them but they were $14.99 a pound! Finally I found them at Sprouts yesterday...for $4.99 a pound
so now I will have them for Christmas....just a tradition to have chestnuts roasted for Christmas. It does not take much too much to make me happy. So many of you did just that yesterday with all the birthday wishes for my guy....he thanks you very much. The doctor removed the staples on Tuesday afternoon..he did wince a bit...I could not look.  He had therapy yesterday and they increased his time to 1 hour and he is doing very well with it. Mr H is walking much better and hopefully the thigh pain will subside. We did not have a birthday cake...
instead we enjoyed pastry; Lobster tail filled with whipped cream and custard filled cream puff. I figured it was a special day...cake just does not mark the 70th like pastry does. It was good to see that he is up to going shopping with me.... I am not used to doing lots of things let alone by myself...very spoiled am I. Today I hope to spend time starting my baking and working on my new project....
I am starting on band 5 and forgot just how much I enjoy this type of project. I just needed a break from regular cross stitch. I do find that I need to stop after each band to rest my hand, but that is just fine. There are 2 more projects in this book but I am not sure if I will do them or look to another book. I do have several in the bookcase.The one thing I need to do is get another scissor for thread cutting...like in Hardanger. My wonderful scissor broke and I have yet to buy another. I will probably look to Nordic Needle for one. Just need a tiny and sharp point. Right now, I need a cup of coffee while I wait for the laundry to finish. I thank you for the birthday wishes for Mr H and for your wonderful friendship. Your kind words make a wonderful day for me. Hope you enjoy your day.

5 comments:

cucki said...

yummy pastery..my mouth is watering here :)
sweet stitches.
enjoy your day.
big hugs x

Vickie said...

Glad you have all your chestnuts.
The band sampler is looking gorgeous.

Tiffstitch said...

Wow, pastry was definitely the way to go and beautiful work!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I am glad Mr H had a good Birthday with his pastries too.
I am also very grateful to you for mentioning new scissors - I intended to buy a new pair this Christmas and had totally forgotten! The last postage date is Monday so I was able to jump online and order them, taking advantage of the special offer of some free DMC too.

Brigitte said...

So nice to read that Mr H is doing better and better. And this delicious pastry will give him energy and help him to feel stronger and stronger, lol.