Wednesday, June 24, 2015

She will be called Ruby

A partly cloudy day so far but still warm. It is 6 AM and the temp is 84 and might reach 111 by day end. Our community roofing project is still ongoing. I am amazed that these people can be up on the roof in high temps for hours. They begin around 5ish and end their day around 1 PM.


Dressed in long sleeve shirts, long pants and work boots as well as gloves----- just have to sweat for them. My plans are to stay hydrated and as cool as possible. They may reach my house sometime next week. Lot of work----rip up the shingles and tar paper, sweep and clean before laying out new tar paper then the new shingles. Did I mention that they have lots of tools with them? They have a wheel barrow on the roof with them! I thought it would be a noisy time with so many people working but surprisingly there is little noise.
My hexi project is complete....
I formed it into a pincushion and added beads to the top, of course. One of the gals at my monthly stitch group thought they looked like a spider ( and they do, sort of) and found one "leg" to be shorter than the rest so I maned it Ruby after her! Oh, no, not because she has a leg problem, just because!!!!! I did enjoy the process and know that the next hexis will be much better.  Some of us in the group are starting a new project.....
first you paint a back round, then you stitch a scene. I am combining 2 pictures into one for a meadow. It is a layering type of stitching starting with the back and working to the front. I plan to frame it when it is finished. So far I like how it is looking. Lots of possibilities with this. Oh...... my stomach is rumbling so I best find breakfast. Glad you could stop in today. Thank you for your kind words and most of all your friendship. Enjoy your day.

10 comments:

KimM said...

Hi, Gracie! Good lic with the roofing project - and your hexes are beautiful!
Hugs from hot, rainy, muggy Iowa
xxx

KimM said...

Sorry - that's "GOOD LUCK"…..fingers went too fast ;0)

rosey175 said...

Yuck, I do not envy the roofers. It sounds like they are doing a good job though. Your hex cushion looks great and I like the idea of painting the fabric for a background on your new project!

Vickie said...

Oh what wonderful new projects Gracie! Keep cool.

diamondc said...

I wish them well on getting the roof done quickly.
The black project looks very interesting.
Love the pin cushion.

Blessings
Catherine

Julie said...

Your new project sounds very interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Mosaic Magpie said...

Cute pincushion and the new project working on a painted background should be fun....more fun than those poor guys working on the roof in such heat! I am certain they prefer the early Spring and Fall for their work.

Deb

Deb said...

Love the Hexie pincushion, it came out lovely. The painted background is an interesting idea and the stitching looks great so far, I look forward to seeing more.

Faye said...

Loving Ruby!!!! And you better stay VERY hydrated❤️.....

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Nice pincushion. The painted piece looks like it will be interesting. I have used fabric pens to colour aida as a background before. It's a great way to fill large areas when you don't like stitching acres of the same colour!