Friday, October 10, 2014

Hummingbird chatter

I seem to be having a slow morning. Although, I did some stitching on ornament #2 and finished it. Now to find backing fabric. Over the weekend I hope to complete these 2 ornaments and move on to another one. I did more on Cinderella....it is getting there. I am working only a couple of hours today for the sale and then Mr H and I will go to get our flu shots.In between the rain the other day, this sweet fella came to sit just outside the lanai...
he simply is adorable. The magenta feathers glow in the sunlight. The twig he is sitting on is so delicate, I was afraid he would blow off in the breeze! He allows me to get fairly close to him. As I sit here typing I can see him sitting in the Tree Mallow. The slider is open and his little chatter is pleasant to hear. Every now and again, he chases off the other hummers who try to stop by....it is his yard after all.
The garden is starting to go through changes.... the heat of the summer is starting to turn cooler...under the 100 mark.... and the Snail vine gave us another bloom to enjoy...
I can see this from the kitchen window. Mr H over did it yesterday while I was at work (of course) trimming back the Honeysuckle and will certainly be staying put today. Our Honeysuckle grows like a weed and was over 15 feet tall and at least 5 feet wide. Hopefully with the temps remaining cool in the morning I will be able to get out and clean under the bushes and help Mr H before getting the winter planting in. I will remember to use the Cutter's spray so I should not get any bites. In the meantime, I think I will return to my stitching chair and continue with Cinderella's coach. Thank you for visiting with me and for the kind words.... you certainly do make my day. Enjoy your day....

9 comments:

barbara woods said...

i think most of our hummingbirds have left, see one every once in a while. but we get frost the middle of this month are always have

cucki said...

Aww so sweet :)
Hugs x

Vickie said...

I enjoyed both of these pictures so much today Gracie. =) I am with Dennis today. I am having a high pain day. I am staying put.

rosey175 said...

I think all of our hummingbirds have buzzed away for the winter, too. They're cheeky little buggers and always came to visit me when I'd be out working in the garden. Probably to remind me to fill up the feeder or plant more flowers. :)

Kaisievic said...

Lovely post, Gracie, I loved reading about your day and your garden.

shirley flavell said...

Hello Gracie, I would so love to see a Humming bird for real, I've never seen one before and think they look so delightful. I could almost smell your "snail" flower thru the computer. If it is like one we had at a previous home some years ago it should smell very sweet and lovely.We also used to have honeysuckle but not at the home we have now, we have roses and lavender. A true cottage place but with a garden that needs quite a bit of tidying up. Maybe your DH could "pop" over and potter around:) Have a great week end, Hugs Shirley

Anne said...

He is so pretty! I love watching hummingbirds...I could watch them all day. We have a few here but much larger and they don't migrate which is nice. In Prince George though, we have these teeny little guys with vibrant red breasts that come in the summer then leave of course in winter.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a beautiful little hummingbird, it must be amazing to have them in your garden.

Sally said...

I'd love to see a hummingbird. We don't have them over here.