Sunday, September 11, 2011

My dad was wrong but yet also right


I told myself that I would not watch the 9/11 broadcast this morning. I did not want to see the tragedy again. But then somehow it appeared on the TV screen ..... I do not remember even changing from the movie I was watching.  Then I remembered something my dad said to me on December 7th 1968 ... on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor.  We were talking about some of my friends who were in Viet Nam. Dad was stationed in Hawaii. He recalled that morning sitting at breakfast when the attack started. He talked to me about having the planes fly so low he could see the Japanese pilots. He told me never to forget the attack and the loss of the many lives.He said it was important to honor those lives always.  Dad, Joseph Piccirilli, said it would never happen to our country again.But it did on September 11 2001. Freedom always cost not just money but always lives too. As with every 12/7 I remember the day my day fought for my country, I remember 9/11 and hope that my dad's thought ... it would never happen again .... will be true.

I plan  on a quiet day. Mr H will watch football and I will stitch. Tomorrow morning is his surgery and I must admit to being concerned. Mr H ? He is hoping that I will remember to tape the Patriot game for him! Priorities.....

I am always happy to have you visit with me.... I thank you for your kind words.... have a peaceful day.


NOTE added:
I was asked how I could remember the 1968 date. First for somethings I have a very good memory. But in this case, I graduated high school in 1964. Quite a few of the boys in my class were drafted into service and sent to Viet Nam. In the 4 years  ... 64 to 68 ... many more were sent and some of my co-workers had husbands or boyfriends or brothers. I had a girlfriend, a nurse that was sent. They were a hard 4 years for me. Some came home, some came home differently and then some did not make it. I was still single and living at home. My dad and I talked about this often.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Good wishes coming for your hubby's surgery! Hope all goes well!

Jules said...

Good thoughts to you and your husband. Typical male response: tape the game, LOL!

I have been glued to the 9/11 programs the past several days. It still amazes me that actually happened. But your dad is right in saying to always honor those lives lost.

Mouse said...

good luck to DH on the surgery and don't forget to tape the game ..lol .... love mouse xxxx

Blu Stitcher said...

I will be thinking of you and Mr. H all day tomorrow.

Cindy said...

Am sending positive thoughts to you and DH today.....hope all goes well and i have vivid memories of vietnam and that 'time' too!!! best wishes to you both :D

Gillie said...

I watched the British remembrance service held in the memorial garden in London, and cried. The American ambassador reminded the audience and all of us that despite the horror life has gone on, our businesses kept going, people have drawn together, they have NOT won.