Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Thinking~~~~~

Yesterday started simple enough. After chores  --- how foolish am I?--- I am still waitng for the House Faeries to arrive! Back to my story, I thought I would sit to bead the 3rd pod piece. I am finding that the highly shiny silver delicas can be difficult for me due to my vision issues. Finally I have an appointment with the specialist at the end of the month. Not easy being a new patient as you always have to wait to be seen. Anyway, the phone rang the Bother Alan ring. After our chat it was me placing a call to sis Lynowl. Now this would be a surprise as it is always that she calls me...just the way it has been. Anyway, sharing my conversation that I had with The Brother, we then discussed the issues at hand. One thing always leads to another. I am not sure how we got on the subject but I said something about all my stitched works and special items in my home. The dictionary says that thinking is … "the activity of using your mind to consider something". Well, my mind was in full mode. Many years ago a lady from one of the stitch groups that I belonged to died and her husband sold all of her works, beautiful stitched items in a garage sale! For pennies! No one in the family wanted any of it. Nothing was offered to her stitching friends. What will happen to my framed stitchery? What will happen to my tatting? The beautiful porcelain dolls. What will .... anyway, it really had my mind considering all this. Have you thought of this also? Maybe offering it to others now would be good as I would enjoy knowing that they wanted my creations. The thinking is about over and not for me to concern myself with today. Back to beading.
Tomorrow I will consider something else.... today is out with Glenda for lunch.
So glad I could share these thoughts with you today.....do come back soon. Thank you for your kind words and for you friendship.

11 comments:

diamondc said...

Gracie: I have thought of that same thing, however I do have nieces and nephews wives that are interested in my Santa collection, Barbie collection and of course the stitching and beading, I am one of the lucky ones in that area, so now I need to find out who wants their name on what, oh my.
I think if you use a very dark blue or black fabric you would be able to see the beads.
Have a beautiful lunch with your friend.

Catherine

Vicki said...

I do think about that... I'm fortunate in that I have a daughter and a DIL who both stitch. I trust them to take care of my stitching. I also follow a simple solution: if any of my kids or family/friends comment that they like a certain piece, I either take it off the wall and give it to them or put their name on the back for future distribution. I do that with all of my belongings, actually.
We shop at Goodwill and Estate Sales. I can't tell you how many pieces of beautiful cross stitch I have purchased at these venues. I just want to "save" them! I know how much time and care went into the creating of them, and I can't bear to see them thrown on a shelf.

Heritage Hall said...

Alas, being sentimental has slipped through the cracks in our culture
and too often the value of dedicated handwork is lost on unseeing
eyes. There is less and less room for "collections" in the lives of
those on the fast track... To have a relative or two who would be honored to own some of one's work is a blessing.. I suspect that future generations may be more aware and mourn the loss of what was
discarded in our day. Let us hope beauty will survive.

Marula Michela said...

C'è da sperare che qualche famigliare si occupi con cura di tutti gli oggetti che qualcuno lascia. Oppure forse è meglio regalarli a qualcuno a cui piacciano quando siamo ancora vivi, piuttosto che vadano nelle mani sbagliate. Sono oggetti preziosi.

Purple Pixie Dust said...

Well, I know my kids will want my stuff. They already have told me of some of the stuff I have that they want. They can fight over it all when I'm gone. But your right no one now a days that dose not do crafts understand what time, patience and money gose into everything we make. hugs

Cynthia said...

Gracie, I think about this all the time. I guess the kids and grandkids will probably take some of the stuff, but as for my stitching supplies, I don't know what will happen. Maybe I should start downsizing.

Karyn said...

Hello Gracie <3 I too have such thoughts and I've already told the kiddos, throw it out, sell it, keep it. I don't want them to feel like they have to keep it.The story behind this statement is as follows...I'm a bit of a nut about even making presents for others, except my Mom, as I know that my style is not theirs and most of my family would be daunted by one more thing to find a place for. My kiddos are young and modern and their generation likes minimalist style. It broke my heart when it came time for my MIL to give away the hand painted china that she had treasured and used for only very special occasions, and not one of her 6 children wanted it! I said give it to me and I will carry on the treasured tradition myself, and I have.
Whoever gets your treasures will be blessed and rewarded
Hugs

Julie said...

This was a topic of discussion at our crafting group some time ago when a member passed away and her son wanted to keep everything in her craft room just as it was but the daughter in law was a crafter herself and persuaded him to give away some of the half stitched WIP pieces to members explaining they could be finished off and have some of the lovely ladies work in their own homes. She has been passed 8 years now and he is still unwilling to part with much of it that the DIL doesn't want or need.

LindaLee said...

Good morning Gracie,
I have already told my husband that all of my cross stitching supplies are to go to my little DIL's sister. Since the day I introduced her to the craft, she has been hooked! My finished pieces are to go to my DIL's. I have already given all photos to my two sons. Our minds sure do take us to all kinds of places and situations!

Vickie said...

BIG BREATH! Sadly, I found out. Our Emerson's best friend's mother just passed away unexepectedly, last week. Jacob came over here, before the funeral, so we could all travel together. After the funeral, we returned. He was looking around, and said, "Mom. What are we going to do with all of this stuff?!" I was a bit stunned I admit. I said, "What stuff? My things? My possessions? The things I have lovingly created over the years? I don't know. I will be dead. I guess you can do what you want. You can save them. You can throw them out. Take them to Goodwill. I won't know. I will be dead." I admit, it was harsh, but I was hurt. He immediately said, "No. No. No, we won't do that. Never mind. We are not going to talk about this." Madeleine, our youngest, who totally appreciates everything I do and make, later told me that maybe at the funeral there could be a table? For people to take something made by me? I actually am warming up to the idea. Once again, I really do mean it, when I am dead, I am dead! I won't know or care, will I?! Now I do, of course! And if I go first, Brian WILL NOT let ANYTHING happen to ANYTHING!

Pittoresque said...

A friend of mine actually put me into her will to take care of her crafting stuff, making sure it all goes to people that will appreciate it if anything ever happens to her.