Monday, July 8, 2019

A cousin, gladiolas and cooking~~~~

I cannot believe that I actually have the front door and kitchen slider open! I better enjoy because in a few hours it will be back to the AC. Just to let you know, the recent quakes in California have not affected me here in the Arizona Valley.... but, to the West of me some have felt the shaking. We are however in the mist of several wildfires none of which are in my direct area. Thank you for caring enough  to ask.
I am half way through my 2nd Pod taco. I was sooooo busy cooking yesterday that this was put aside. Yes, I was cooking for hours. Initially I did not think that I would do much of anything but all of a sudden I found myself in the kitchen. There was bread in the machine, beef stew cooking and pasta and beef in tomato and Black Cherry Jell-O setting up, hard cooked eggs in the steamer followed by rice in the steamer..... all the same time.  There was no time for beading~! I will finish the pod today.
I love the gentle shade of these apricot gladiolas. I bought them this weekend to add brightness to the abode. As much as they did and still do, the brightness came with a phone call.
This is cousin Maria. She is the daughter of my late uncle John, dad's older brother. It has been some time since we were together..... back in Rhode Island.  No matter how much time passes we pick up as if it was just yesterday. Most of our time is laughing. So many memories we share from our childhood. She probably does not remember  (she freely admits to not remembering some things!) to some of my memories.... like the first time I had French toast her mom (auntie Lena) made it for me. Going to dances at LaSalle Academy with her late brother Rocco. This sweet gal always has a smile and gentleness in her voice. Whether it is a handwritten letter or a phone call, her name and voice bring happiness. I love you dearest Maria.
Glad you stopped  by today to chat. Thank you for your caring and kind words and for your friendship.
Time is not measured by clocks, but by moments.... and memories.

12 comments:

Vicki said...

It was so nice this morning, we opened the front and back doors too. Anytime I can get fresh air in the house it's a celebration, especially in July! Looks like super hot is on the way later this week. Oh well, maybe the Monsoon will begin...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
RJ said...

Gracie, it is so special to have a relationship like you have with your cousin Maria. She sounds like a lovely woman too. I have one like that with my cousin Joan. We have not seen each other in quite a few years. We both were married to men in the military and we never were near each other. But the fond memories last forever. We always spent alot of time down the shore together, sang together, and talked forever. We were in each other's weddings etc. Time flies by but memories stand still. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

diamondc said...

Gracie: How lovely you were able to talk to her, I bet the memories are jems.
Do you make up meals ahead of time, just curious.
I am loving the taco shape, you are a master beader and do such lovely work.
I hope it does not get too hot for you.
I was wondering if the tremors hit your area.
We have smoke coming down from Canada from their fires, if the winds are strong enough and the fires large enough we will get smoke from your area, we have had smoke from the California fires in the past.
Have a beautiful week.

Catherine

Barbara said...

Don't you just love those phone calls when you aren't expecting them. I love it when I get an email from a cousin of mine in Pennyslvania. I do want to tell you that I love gladiolas and they were my Mother's favorite flower.
Blessings

Pittoresque said...

Sounds like you had delicious food...probably still have if there was so much of it!

LindaLee said...

I think of you so often and all that you accomplish and have going on in your life. I enjoy your blog nearly every day, but fail to leave a comment so often. Please know, that I do keep up with you. You're a dear sweet lady.

Shelly said...

You were a busy cooking bee on Sunday! I now have a stove so I'm enjoying cooking again. Much cheaper than microwaveable foods. My old stove finally kicked the bucket, gosh way back in March maybe? My daughter's friend was giving away an electric stove so my daughter snatched it up right away. New stoves are expensive and used stoves being sold here seemed to be all gas. I have cousins like yours, we spent a lot of time together growing up. I live within 40 miles of 25 cousins. My grandma had 9 children! Have a good Tuesday, Gracie!

Mary said...

I bet Maria has memories that you have forgotten about also, so for that reason alone it's so nice to reminisce and perhaps even jog a special memory or two. I hope the fires will be extinguished quickly...Mary

butterfly said...

SO happy you are staying safe .
Maria looks a lovely lady have fun , hugs June.

Purple Pixie Dust said...

I like your cousin Maria, lovely lady. Memories are treasures of life. hope you put half of that food away for later. Can't wait to see your finished bead work. big hugs

Julie said...

What a lovely smile Maria has, just to see that would make a person happy themselves.