Friday, December 7, 2018

Jo's Advent Calendar

We are so lucky to have a blogging friend who keeps us busy throughout the year with Blog Hops. Of course I am talking about Jo and the 2018 advent Calendar Blog Hop. I am day #8
Meet Angel Noell from Brooks Books. I love the patterns...they are on perforated paper and fun to do. I made a few changes: I added beads to the wreath and omitted the hair decoration. I used feathers for her wings. I also added specialty fiber to fluff up her stole. When Christmastime is over she hangs around in my bedroom. 
Each blog hop Jo has a question for us to answer. This year she wants to know what our favorite Christmas Carol is. This for me is a hard question, let me explain. Through the years my favorite carol have changed. When I was a child of course it was those Jingle Bells and Frosty songs. Then as a young girl "in love" with her soldier boyfriends (during the 60s and before Mr Horton) it was I'll Be Home for Christmas type. Then one day after leaving a hospital in Boston where my dad was for end stage cancer, Dennis and I stopped at the Chestnut Hill Mall to spend some time after a trying few hours. As we entered it happened to be the Christmas department of a store and ( for your listening pleasure click here)The Carol of the Bells was playing by George Winston. My heart immediately responded with a calm and soothing feeling. I had heard it before but this time it felt like it was playing just for me. 
The original folk story related in the song was associated with the coming New Year, which, in pre-Christian Ukraine, was celebrated with the coming of spring in April. The original Ukrainian title translates to "the generous one"[4] or is perhaps derived from the Ukrainian word for bountiful (shchedryj),[3] and tells a tale of a swallow flying into a household to proclaim the bountiful year that the family will have.
My dad passed on December 18, 1985 a few weeks after hearing this amazing carol as played by George Winston. So, although I love all Christmas music and play it all during the season, this is my uplifting song and yes it reminds me of the coming year and the promises new things to come.
Merry Christmas my friends and look forward to a New Year.

25 comments:

Catsngrams said...

Merry Christmas to you also and may you have a good and blessed new year.

Vickie said...

I love Angel Noell Gracie. I am so glad to see her once again! She is a real treasure. Thank you for sharing your story with us. And this beautiful version of The Carol of the Bells. I love it.

butterfly said...

What a lovely Angel .
My Dad passed away at Christmas time too.
I always light a candle , and spend moments thinking of the old times .

Astrids dragon said...

She's gorgeous, you finished her beautifully!
That is a lovely song, the video that goes with it is perfect.
Happy Christmas

DJ said...

What a lovely Christmas ornament, I do love Brooke's patterns! Your creativity makes her just perfect! I have always loved this song too. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy many blessings in the New Year!

Julie said...

Angel Noel is stunning. A beautiful song, enjoyed listening to it:
My dad passed away 19th Dec.

Ele said...

Lovely finish! so sweet

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar Blog Hop. I do love Noelle and the music is lovely too. I am enjoying listening to each song as I update the calendar.

RJ said...

I so love your beautiful angel, Gracie. She is a treasure! I enjoyed your story and can relate. I will listen to your song later and know I will enjoy it very much. Happy holidays! RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Aurelia Eglantine said...

I love your pretty angel! I'm so sorry about the loss of your Dad. My beloved Grandpa died on Christmas Day the year before last - also from cancer - so your story about changing favourite carols really hit home for me. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get into the Christmas spirit this year, hopefully it will get easier with time. I know you're missing your dear Dennis too. Thank you for sharing your memories, and I hope you and Brother Alan have a Very Merry Christmas and that the New Year will bring you good things ❤

Pink Rose said...

Hi Gracie lovely post ,so sorry to hear about your dad,i am your newest follower and hope you will visit and follow me too.
I dont think i have heard The Carol of the bells so thankyou for putting up the link for us,i am going to listen to it now,Merry Xmas.

OhSewCrafty said...

Angel Noel is stunning, very clever to use feathers for the wings. Thank you for sharing your story. I love the carol of the bells and George Winston's version is wonderful. Merry Christmas!

jocondine said...

Lovely angel (love "I made a few changes" as I'm always tempted to change colors, threads, patterns... leading me sometimes to complicated works). My dad was a lot in hospital, I remember making Christmas cards in his room. Thanks for sharing your song story. AmitiƩs. xxx

Mouse said...

love your wee angel and that she stays out all year … lovely story too .. I will listen to the song in a few mins … hope you have a lovely Christmas and wishing you well for the New Year ….love mouse :) xxxxxx

Pittoresque said...

Brooks Books' angels and fairies are all awesome. I love how you finished her hair!
The song is beautiful as well. No wonder it's special to you.

Clare-Aimetu said...

Such a beautiful angel. Thank you for sharing your story and song, Merry Christmas

Christine said...

Your Christmas angel is lovely! Have a wonderful Christmas

Ariadne said...

Your angel looks lovely! The Carol of the bells is amazing I think it is included in the movie The Snowman too. Happy holidays. AriadnefromGreece!

Katie said...

What a beautiful angel! I love that song too you're right it's so peaceful and hopeful. Merry Christmas.

Mary's Thread said...

What a sweet ornament! And THANK YOU for sharing the story of Carol of the Bells! I learned something new today! :) My son is playing this song for his piano recital this weekend and I will share this information with him! It is his favorite Christmas Song.

Mary said...

Gracie, I forgot all about this beautiful music...I haven't heard it in years. Love the photo display with the Carol...your angel is beautiful. Have a Blessed Christmas with you and yours. Mary

FlashinScissors said...

Angel Noel is lovely! I enjoyed listening to the music (fantastic views too)!
Hope you have a Happy Christmas!
Barbara x

rosey175 said...

I've always like this particular BB stitch! She's so pretty and her hair is amazing. I really enjoy Carol of the Bells as well. Your story is great to accompany it too.

Elfie said...

Your angel is gorgeous, and I enjoyed your song. Merry Christmas!

beadgirl said...

Merry Christmas, Gracie. I didn't know the background of that song, thank you for sharing it.