Thursday, October 26, 2017

Alice, White Flies and Snails

Another glorious start to the day. I love when I can open the sliders and the front door and feel natural air flowing in. The A/C will be off at least until this afternoon when the heat returns. Today they say again in the mid 90s, still above average for October.
The sprinkler leaks seem to be fixed as Don stopped buy to check them and adjust them for me. I obviously still need to learn more of what I thought I knew. There is however another issue that is not improving.
See the light colored leaves almost in the center of the picture? It is a White Fly infestation and it is on both the Yellow Bells and the Honeysuckle (same plant family). I have been spraying every other day and keeping it trimmed but they are not leaving. I think they may have to go...the plants that is and something else found to replace them. Always sad to loose established plants, but this is not something I want to spread to the rest of the garden. The Honeysuckle
which is along the wall (Yellow Bells in the center garden) is so large rooted as it has been here the longest, would just be cut down to the ground and kept at a short growth. The Yellow Bells can still be uprooted and removed. You can see the damage better in this picture.
The Snail Vine
is growing by the foot almost daily! Here it is attaching itself to the Fountain Grass. Everyday I convince it to attach to the arbor only to find it on the grass in the morning.  I am very happy it is growing so well. It may be called Snail Vine but it certainly grows quickly. Yesterday morning I sat outside on the front porch with Alice

and another motif is finished. I will be returning there soon to see how much I can stitch before coming back inside. I am planning to browse through my patterns and only keep some of what I have which is too much. I am sure I can find homes for what I will not want to keep. I think the magazines will be weeded out soon also. So, watch for the de-stashing. I find my interests are changing at the moment. I will always love cross stitch, but there are other areas that are calling to me.
This weekend I will gather and mail out my Denny's Angels. Just passed 4 months that he is missing from my life.  People have come and gone since those early sad days but I am lucky to have faithful friends who help fill the void. These angels are my way of saying thank you for the comfort and friendship I have from friends near and far. I told you about Debbie who has stayed by my side long distance, there are others...like Vickie. Here is a blog friend who has her own busy life but manages to visit my blog daily and always leaves me a comment of encouragement and kindness. Special people indeed.
Well, time to get dressed...do not think the neighbors will appreciate me outside in pajamas. I really want to enjoy the morning temperatures. So glad we had time to chat. Thank you so much for the emails and kind words. Most of all, thank you for your encouragement and friendship. 

8 comments:

Purple Pixie Dust said...

we have little white flies here but they don't last long. Always glad to see your blog. I look forward to seeing you each day. I am waiting for my surgery on the 16th of Nov. and only type sometimes now. My shoulder grinds to no end. Take care and stay out of the heat. hugs

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I'm in a similar situation Grace, I have so much cross stitching stuff that I know I will never use - at the moment I'm not quite sure what to do with it all. I too have found new things that are calling to me and can't see myself feeling the same way about stitching any time soon.

Julie said...

I too am not stitching like I was, there must be something in the air.
Take care Gracie xx

Vicki said...

We get white flies in our yard several times a year. Dan sprays the yard a couple of times and that takes care of them... until the next time they come! I know you are looking forward to the cooler weather that is coming our way over the next few days. I'm hoping we've seen the last of the 90s until Spring. Enjoy today!

Vickie said...

:D Hello dear Gracie! Ugh, am I ever exhausted. Remember the fun of moving?! I am sorry you are having such trouble with your plants. I will keep my eye out for your future destash! I will be back when I am able. So much to do still.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a shame about the white fly, hope you can rescue some plants.
Vickie is such a sweet person, we are lucky to have her as a friend!

Brigitte said...

Although cross stitch is still my only passion I have way too much stash, too. And will try to de-stahs next year here on my blog.
I hope you can rescue your plants so that they will continue growing and flowering.

Pittoresque said...

Stupid flies, messing up your pretty garden! I hope you got that sorted out.