Saturday, July 9, 2016

Coffee~Tea~ Hot Chocolate and K D Lang

A bit of experimenting this morning....dying fabric swatches~~~
this is with a strong cup of  Eight O'clock coffee and left for about an hour. I like the color and the scorch marks.....hated to waste my coffee but it had to be done. You can see the original bees fabric and the lovely difference.
Then we made a strong cup of Tetley tea...
Not bad color....but not quite right. This is why I always experiment before using all the fabric and time. Of course, there is no guarantee that it will turn out the same later when I do it for real. After this I decided to try Swiss Miss hot chocolate  which I had not tried before
not a bad shade but again, not what I would want with this project. It is always fun to try different foods. Do you ever use food for dying fabric? For each of these I left in the liquid for about hour swishing them periodically. Then a rinse in cold water briefly and into the microwave for a minute. Sometimes as with large pieces I use the clothes dryer and even the oven occasionally. Most important with the oven....check every few seconds or else! So, I guess the coffee dye will be the way to go.

The bee fabric is by Moda---design is Bee Creative by Deb Strain
So next will be to decide how to bag it! K D Lang ( Drag CD) in the back round is just so relaxing. Earlier I went out to water the garden and of course received 2 mosquito bites for my 5 minutes in the hot sun. Filled the birdbath and watched as the woodpecker made his daily visit to the hummingbird feeder. He looks so silly but I look forward to his visits. Meanwhile the hummer flits in and out to drink. Now I am off to sit and read my smocking book for a bit and then a little practice. You always make my day with your visits. Thank you for your friendship and kind words. Have a great day.

11 comments:

Vickie said...

I never, ever would have thought of hot chocolate! Have fun making up your project now. :D

Annie said...

Hot chocolate is definitely and interesting idea for fabric dye. Does the fabric taste like hot chocolate now?

butterfly said...


Love what you are doing , must smell wonderful .
Enjoy your day.

KimM said...

I've never tried dying fabric with anything. I think the Starbucks coffee is my favorite, too.
xxx

Marilyn said...

The fabrics look great, but the coffee-dyed one looks the best shade.
Nice project.
Marilyn

Tiffstitch said...

nice work with your experiments! We're using Thermacell this year to keep the mosquitoes away. It works pretty well. The handheld one seems better than the lantern if you look into it. :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I like the coffee one. I have tea-dyed fabric using ordinary tea bags and fruit tea too. The fruit teas do smell lovely while you are stitching on the piece too.

Mike Raven said...

Never thought of dying fabrics like this, you learn something new every day :)

Bea said...

3 different but lovely shades. I've heard of coffee and tea dying, but hot chocolate was something new.

Julie said...

Looks like you have been having lots of fun with these fabrics. They are lovely.

Brigitte said...

This fabric is just awesome. And you are right, the coffee dyed version is the perfect choice. Interesting that you put your dyed fabrics into the microwave occasionally depending on the size of the piece. Great idea.