Friday, June 10, 2016

Buzzing your way....

How about a little bee info? I have as you may know, been dealing with bees on our community property. I guess I should explain that I am ...The Bug and Trash Lady on our HOA board. This means these areas are  my added responsibility. Back to the bees.... We have had a large bush that bees built a nest in a few years ago. We thought we had the issue resolved. A couple of weeks ago I found lots of bee activity around the same bush. I called out Pest Control people and they came out and found that the bees burrowed deep inside the root system and that we should remove the bush ASAP. They treated the problem and within a few days all activity stopped. So, the landscaping people cut down the bush but did not remove it...a miscommunication.
Move along to this past week and remember the swarm...more on that in a few. The landscapers on Tuesday removed the bush roots but left the clump upside down (roots exposed). Well, the bees thought this was an invitation to move back in. So once again The guys returned to take care of the problem...
This is Tony spraying and actually digging out some of the hive and honey comb.
if you look carefully you can see the hive and honey. Tony and the guys made it clear that it must be removed today. What happened is that the bees leave a hormone scent in the hive. This calls other bees and invites them to move in. To see how far into the roots they had the hive was amazing and to see how big it was something else. The landscapers returned and took it all away. Ta-Da, no more bees...I can only hope! Now to the swarm, what appears to have happened was a colony was looking for a new place of property to begin construction and the Queen decided to stop to rest. That means all the bees surround her to protect her. Eventually they move on...I just wanted to be sure it was not our community that they wanted to live! With my recent Bee Adventures, I think it is only appropriate that I stitch this:...


http://theprimitivehare.blogspot.com/2016/06/bee-happy.html. The pattern is available in June JCS magazine. There is a kit available through the above link but you must have the magazine for the pattern. I must tell you that today is absolutely beginning lovely outside. The temps are much lower and the sky is partly cloudy with a chance of showers...I just may sit outside and enjoy this after all the very hot days we have been having. I am officially on countdown to Mr H's surgery (next Friday, the 17th). Everything is in order so far. For my long wait at the hospital, I have started to gather a project to take along. To be truthful, I have changed my mind so many times that I am not sure what I am taking!  In the meantime, thanks for stopping by and for your friendship and kind words. Have a wonderful day.

8 comments:

Tiffstitch said...

Definitely an adventure! Glad it all seems resolved and that looks a perfect project to start.

Vickie said...

Good bye and good riddance we hope!!!!!!

KimM said...

Oh dear. Bees make me nervous. We had a swarm all over the back of the house, it was like an Alfred Hitchcock movie. Yikes!
xxx

butterfly said...


Happy you got rid of the bees , I love bees but not their hives's .
Have a fun day .

Cindy's Stitching said...

Glad the Bees aew gone. Perfect bee project. Hope everything goes well for hubby

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I'm so pleased your bees have found a proper home and won't be coming back!

I also plan on stitching the Primitive Hare bee design, since Kim sent me the perfect fabric to back it.

Julie said...

Hope your bees have buzzed off somewhere more suitable. Great design in the magazine.

JudyC said...

Thank you so much for visiting and the nice comment!
This Bee Happy bag is really lovely.