Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Mail , clock parts and a printer


What do you call your mom? I ask because I call my mom EvaP...I used to call my dad Joe. The story my mom tells about dad is that I used to hear everyone call him Joe so I did from when I was just 2 or so. As the years went on I did say dad and mom until one day it became Joe and Evap...not out of any disrespect, rather affection and they did not mind. Anyway, mail arived from EvaP the other day (never know what will be in the box) and one of the items ...
It measures around 24 inches and was made by mom's aunt many years ago. EvaP decided to send it to me knowing that I would appreciate having it and use it. It is not perfectly crocheted and does need a little starching, but for now it is on my table. I have stitched on Red Riding Hood...
it is a slow progress, but then again, I stitch for pleasure not speed. I have no time line to finish this so it is a stitch or two here and there. I am enjoying this design. I still have a couple of other projects I must work on, one due for March 15th and the other is to start my Christmas ornaments...I have one planned exchange and I want to do a few others. I will soon pull out my JCS mags and try, try I say because I do enjoy looking, to pick out a couple to do. I now have the digital JCS so it will take up less file space. An update on the "doctor" appointments. First Mr H, no injections just learning to live with the hip/back pain. On to the clock doctor...as nice a clock as it is, it is 20 years old and not really worth putting money into it. So Just before I left for work yesterday, Mr H said he was going to look into it..... I will remind you he no clock repair experience.
so.....here is the clock face, the pendulum and the works....there is nothing to repair as he has no idea that to do nor can he take apart the works section! You are wondering where the housing is, well it is back up on the wall and looks very nice...maybe we will add a shelf and use it for display ...at least until I find another clock that will chime for me. Now onto the printer.... such adventures I had on Monday! Since the HP is 3 years old, it is more cost effective to buy a new on than to try to fix it so says the Geek Squad..... so off to Best Buy we went and home with a new printer, this time an Epson. Good you say...not. Following the printed directions step by step: 1- plug cor into the printer and an outlet Do Not connect to computer (this model is wireless!) So far so good. 2. power on and configure....set language,country and time. Simple right....not. Error measure came up several times so a call first to Epson support...mistake...besides the fact that the person on the other end had a very pronounced accent, he kept asking me why I did not understand what he was doing. Hang up the phone and call placed to the Geek Squad where I should have gone in the first place. One hour later, my new printer is working and not connected to the computer because it is wireless. Now why would they even suggest it in the directions?! Now, aren't you just happy you stopped by today? Well, I am. I enjoy your visits/comments and most of all your friendship.....now what to do with the HP printer and those clock parts...................................
Have a great day, I am off to the stitching chair to watch a Sherlock Holmes movie with Mr H and stitch some xx's.

7 comments:

Sally said...

Hello Gracie

What a lovely cloth from EvaP, a real treasure.
Sorry to hear about your printer and clock but glad your new printer is finally working.
Have a good day x

Julie said...

A very beautiful piece of crochet, it's so wonderful to see craftwork come down the generations, I have some lovely pieces from family.
Our wireless printer nearly got thrown out the window when DH was trying to install it!

Vickie said...

What a lovely family treasure.
I am hoping Dennis has something to help him live with the hip and back pain. I have those same problems and I have a few prescriptions that are working pretty well. I am done with procedures for quite a while.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

It's lovely when a piece gets passed on to someone who appreciates it. My mum's name is Maria but she gets called Ria (pronounced with an "i" sound not an "ee") For some reason I refer to her as Bertie and my husband refers to her as Beanie. Isn't it strange how we do this with family names.

shirley flavell said...

Ooh happy days Gracie. Today I have had my fill of IT and definitely was not born for this technology age.Computer problems ++, husband trying to sort it out and getting so frustrated that a few blasphemes were ---- expressed:-(. But, he is a clock fixer wizard, he would get your clock going pretty quickly if we lived down the road.He's fixed a lot of clocks for people around our town. I always called my Mum and Dad just that,(mum, dad) wouldn't have dared to do anything elseLook forward to seeing miss red riding hood. Very very hot here in N.Z. Not going outside to garden while it's like this.watching cricket on tv:-). hugs Shirley

rosey175 said...

Mom is Mom for me, haha. My husband also calls her Mom. :)

I think the next printer we get will be laser; I am so tired of dealing with ink and so rarely print that the ink dries out anyway!

Shame about the clock. I am fond of old clocks and enjoy the sound of their chimes as well. New ones just don't have the same depth. :)

Brigitte said...

I think it's a shame that older pieces like your clock or the printer can't be repaired at all or at least at a reasonable price. I hope your new printer is working now and that you'll find a nice clock that you like.

What a wonderful crocheted doily you have received from your mother.